Windows 7...

  • ei4hq
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2010
      Hi All,

      Long time user of DXAtlas, HamCap, Ionoprobe and Bandmaster.

      I recently moved to Windows 7. Generally its been a positive step, but like a great many other shareware applications that ran well under XP, DXAtlas and HamCap have a few issues under the new Windows application and security models:

      DXAtlas
      Despite being registered, I get the 'Evaluation expired' window every time I start it. DXAtlas does start when I click the continue button and behaves normally thereafter.

      HamCap
      All the setting are lost everytime the application shuts down

      Both applications are already running in "Administrator" mode and in compatibility mode for XP SP3.

      Can anyone advise 'fixes' for the above issues?

      Thanks
      Cormac, EI4HQ
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2010
        Hi...

        Other people have reported on other lists, that if you remove (then
        clean up) and re-install the app, but DO NOT let it use the default
        install path (C:\Program files\app\... etc) but tell it to create and
        or use a unique folder right off the root of C, such as C:\app\...
        That lets many things run and behave much better with Win7.

        Not tried it myself, not got W7 yet, but I suspect it'll be foisted on
        me at work sometime.

        There are also issues with the way Win7 (and Vista) make the soundcard
        systems available to app's. Not all app's will work even if you get
        them happy to install OK.

        Again, from other lists, some have found that using VAC (Virtual Audio
        Cable) to translate from the new to old, many app's (SDR and digi mode
        programs etc) will work OK. I doubt that will help things like Faros
        though, but I digress.

        Anything is worth a try I guess.

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.

        Long time user of DXAtlas, HamCap, Ionoprobe and Bandmaster.

        I recently moved to Windows 7. Generally its been a positive step, but
        like a great many other shareware applications that ran well under XP,
        DXAtlas and HamCap have a few issues under the new Windows application
        and security models:

        DXAtlas
        Despite being registered, I get the 'Evaluation expired' window every
        time I start it. DXAtlas does start when I click the continue button and
        behaves normally thereafter.

        HamCap
        All the setting are lost everytime the application shuts down

        Both applications are already running in "Administrator" mode and in
        compatibility mode for XP SP3.

        Can anyone advise 'fixes' for the above issues?

        Thanks
        Cormac, EI4HQ
      • John T. Fleming
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2010
          Cormac,

          Windows 7 and Vista have some rules like Linux. It restricts what can be
          written to the Program Files. My work around is setting up a folder I call
          My Program Files and install my older ham radio programs there. This
          eliminates the split between Program Files and Program Data or Program Files
          and the data places in the Virtual Store which is found using the
          compatibility button while in the program's folder.

          I would uninstall the programs using Windows uninstaller or the uninstaller
          that came with the program and then reinstall the programs in a different
          programs folder. I do not like installing things in C: root directory. That
          is why I set up a separate folder.

          73,

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010