Re: [dxatlas] Editing Skimmer WAV Files?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
      Try downloading, FREE, the program known as 'Audacity'. Do a Google for
      it. (Download Audacity) I know that you can edit 'WAV' files with. I do
      not know if it will work with the SDR data or not but sure worth a try.
      In fact I think I will also give it a test later.

      Bruce, K2BET
      ---------------------

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
        Be sure to use the 'Soundforge' site. I just attempted use of what
        appears to be "Audacity.download' and go a virus warning there. It did
        not occur at the 'Soundforge' site.

        bet
        -------------

        On 4/30/2010 12:57 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

        > Try downloading, FREE, the program known as 'Audacity'. Do a Google for
        > it. (Download Audacity) I know that you can edit 'WAV' files with. I do
        > not know if it will work with the SDR data or not but sure worth a try.
        > In fact I think I will also give it a test later.
        >
        > Bruce, K2BET
        > ---------------------
        >
        > On 4/30/2010 12:03 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
        > >
        > > Is it possible to edit/trim the size of a CW Skimmer WAV recording?
        > >
        > > Are simple audio file editing tools (e.g. GoldWave) appropriate for
        > this?
        > >
        > > I have many 2 GB 1-hour recording segments, and would like to break
        > > out interesting 5- or 10-minute portions to make them easier to handle
        > > when uploading or downloading to others.
        > >
        > > 73, Jeff K8ND

        > > signature database 5075 (20100430) __________

        > > http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>

        > signature database 5075 (20100430) __________

        > http://www.eset.com

      • jmaass_moose
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2010
          Editing the CW Skimmer WAV files does not seem to work with an audio editing tool. I sliced off all but the first 10 minutes of the file, and played it back using CW Skimmer. It decodes the callsigns, but the absolute frequency information is lost. It plots against an offset rather than the absolute frequencey captured.

          The unedited original ~1 hour file decodes as expected.

          Any guidance how I can slice off a ten minute period of a large captured WC Skimmer WAV file without losing any information?

          73, Jeff K8ND

          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2010
            Hi Jeff,

            The center frequency, UTC date/time and other parameters of the recording
            are stored in the WAV headers. If you save a fragment of a recording in a
            new file, you can add the missing headers manually using the WavInfo tool
            available at (www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/files/wavinfo.zip). You can run two
            instances of this tool, open the original file in the first instance and the
            new file in the second instance, and copy-and-paste the headers.

            I believe many general purpose wav editors also have commands for editing
            the info headers.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2010
              Thanks, Alex! That's solved it.

              I'm assembling a few download-friendly-length extracts from some PJ2T logs from the 2009 CQWW 160 CW Contest. It's pretty jaw-dropping to watch the callsigns decoding from the target-rich environment (~800 decoders, 230 callsigns spotted under "paranoid" filter in an hours time). That's even with the PJ2T transmitter mucking up the receiver while running a pileup!

              73, Jeff