RE: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

  • W0MU Mike Fatchett
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
      I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
      antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
      there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
      Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
      add-ons are available.

      I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
      goofy openings.
    • Jeff Blaine AC0C
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
        Very nice layout Jeff.

        The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

        Good luck!

        73/jeff/ac0c

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
          Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
          different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
          and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
          regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
          direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
          from the outside of the case.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
          The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
            Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
            run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

            On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
            > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
            >
            > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
            >
            > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
            >
            > 73, Jeff K8ND
            >

            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
            >>
            >> 73, Pete N4ZR
            >>
            >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
            >>
            >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
            >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
            >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

          • jmaass_moose
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
              Pete:

              Feel free to grab and use it.

              The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

              73, Jeff K8ND