Re: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

  • jmaass_moose
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
      Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

      Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

      http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

      73, Jeff K8ND

      > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      >
      > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
      > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
      > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
      > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

    • W0MU Mike Fatchett
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
        I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
        antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
        there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
        Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
        add-ons are available.

        I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
        goofy openings.
      • Jeff Blaine AC0C
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
          Very nice layout Jeff.

          The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

          Good luck!

          73/jeff/ac0c

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
            Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
            different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
            and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
            regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
            direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
            from the outside of the case.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
              Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
              run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

              On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
              > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
              >
              > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
              >
              > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
              >
              > 73, Jeff K8ND
              >

              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
              >>
              >> 73, Pete N4ZR
              >>
              >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
              >>
              >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
              >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
              >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

            • jmaass_moose
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                Pete:

                Feel free to grab and use it.

                The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                73, Jeff K8ND