Re: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
      The QS1R is available without an enclosure, and it strikes me that it
      would not be much of a challenge to build a box for it that has lots of
      air moving over the electronics.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
      The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
        Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

        On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
        > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
        >

        > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
        > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194
        >
        > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
        > never get over." Ben Franklin

      • jmaass_moose
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
          Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

          Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

          http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

          73, Jeff K8ND

          > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          >
          > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
          > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
          > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
          > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

        • W0MU Mike Fatchett
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
            I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
            antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
            there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
            Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
            add-ons are available.

            I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
            goofy openings.
          • Jeff Blaine AC0C
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
              Very nice layout Jeff.

              The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

              Good luck!

              73/jeff/ac0c

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
                different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
                and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
                regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
                direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
                from the outside of the case.

                73, Pete N4ZR

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                  Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
                  run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                  The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                  On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
                  > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
                  >
                  > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
                  >
                  > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
                  >
                  > 73, Jeff K8ND
                  >

                  > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                  >>
                  >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >>
                  >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                  >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                  >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                • jmaass_moose
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Pete:

                    Feel free to grab and use it.

                    The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                    73, Jeff K8ND