Re: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

  • jmaass_moose
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11 11:07 AM
      Thanks Wes, Phil and Pete!

      We are planning to install at a location away from the PJ2T contest station, and the Skimmer Server will be open to all. We'd like to cover the 160-10 contest bands (non-WARC), and 6m would be a plus.

      It will be unattended in a non-air-conditioned room, which means very warm ambient temperatures on Curacao. Phil, would clamping a heat sink and adding a fan be helpful to keeping the FPGA from buring up?

      I see reference to the SRL RFFE1 Bandpass Filter & RF Attenuator add-on board, but I haven't found a description of what it will do. Is there a description somewhere, and is the target 3Q10 completion date looking firm?

      We hope to have Our Curacao Skimmer Server up and running for CQWW CW in November, which means installing it in mid-November.

      73, Jeff K8ND

      > HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
      > everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
      > Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
      > so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
      > temperature isn't terribly high.
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR
    • W0MU Mike Fatchett
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11 11:16 AM
        It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.

        CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
        W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

        never get over." Ben Franklin

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11 11:19 AM
          The QS1R is available without an enclosure, and it strikes me that it
          would not be much of a challenge to build a box for it that has lots of
          air moving over the electronics.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
          The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11 11:25 AM
            Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

            On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
            > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
            >

            > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
            > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194
            >
            > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
            > never get over." Ben Franklin

          • jmaass_moose
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11 11:52 AM
              Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

              Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

              http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

              73, Jeff K8ND

              > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
              >
              > 73, Pete N4ZR
              >
              > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
              > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
              > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
              > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

            • W0MU Mike Fatchett
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11 8:28 PM
                I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
                antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
                there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
                Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
                add-ons are available.

                I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
                goofy openings.
              • Jeff Blaine AC0C
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12 12:27 AM
                  Very nice layout Jeff.

                  The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

                  Good luck!

                  73/jeff/ac0c

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 12 4:50 AM
                    Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
                    different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
                    and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
                    regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
                    direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
                    from the outside of the case.

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                    The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 12 4:51 AM
                      Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
                      run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

                      73, Pete N4ZR

                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                      The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                      On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
                      > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
                      >
                      > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
                      >
                      > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
                      >
                      > 73, Jeff K8ND
                      >

                      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                      >>
                      >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                      >>
                      >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                      >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                      >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                    • jmaass_moose
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12 2:49 PM
                        Pete:

                        Feel free to grab and use it.

                        The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                        73, Jeff K8ND