Re: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
      HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
      everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
      Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
      so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
      temperature isn't terribly high.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
      The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

      On 4/9/2010 9:16 AM, jmaass_moose wrote:
      > How does the QS1R receiver with "Skimmer Server" provide up to seven bands at a time?
      >
      > Does it hop from band-to-band in sequence, or does it cover seven bands simultaneously?
      >
      > Who is using "Skimmer Server" with a QS1R? Good experience? Reliable hardware?
      >
      > We are planning an unattended installation of a Skimmer site on Curacao. We've been leaning towards what we've used before (multiple SDR-IQ receivers), but the QS1R is a more economical solution.

    • jmaass_moose
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
        Thanks Wes, Phil and Pete!

        We are planning to install at a location away from the PJ2T contest station, and the Skimmer Server will be open to all. We'd like to cover the 160-10 contest bands (non-WARC), and 6m would be a plus.

        It will be unattended in a non-air-conditioned room, which means very warm ambient temperatures on Curacao. Phil, would clamping a heat sink and adding a fan be helpful to keeping the FPGA from buring up?

        I see reference to the SRL RFFE1 Bandpass Filter & RF Attenuator add-on board, but I haven't found a description of what it will do. Is there a description somewhere, and is the target 3Q10 completion date looking firm?

        We hope to have Our Curacao Skimmer Server up and running for CQWW CW in November, which means installing it in mid-November.

        73, Jeff K8ND

        > HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
        > everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
        > Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
        > so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
        > temperature isn't terribly high.
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR
      • W0MU Mike Fatchett
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
          It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.

          CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
          W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

          never get over." Ben Franklin

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
            The QS1R is available without an enclosure, and it strikes me that it
            would not be much of a challenge to build a box for it that has lots of
            air moving over the electronics.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
              Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

              On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
              > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
              >

              > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
              > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194
              >
              > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
              > never get over." Ben Franklin

            • jmaass_moose
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

                Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

                http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

                73, Jeff K8ND

                > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                >
                > 73, Pete N4ZR
                >
                > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

              • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                  I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
                  antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
                  there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
                  Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
                  add-ons are available.

                  I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
                  goofy openings.
                • Jeff Blaine AC0C
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Very nice layout Jeff.

                    The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

                    Good luck!

                    73/jeff/ac0c

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                      Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
                      different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
                      and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
                      regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
                      direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
                      from the outside of the case.

                      73, Pete N4ZR

                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                      The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
                        run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                        On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
                        > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
                        >
                        > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
                        >
                        > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
                        >
                        > 73, Jeff K8ND
                        >

                        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                        >>
                        >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                        >>
                        >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                        >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                        >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                      • jmaass_moose
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                          Pete:

                          Feel free to grab and use it.

                          The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                          73, Jeff K8ND