Re: [dxatlas] "Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

  • Phil N8VB
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
      I would recommend using the Clifton Laboratories preamp if you find the sensitivity lacking with your particular antenna above 14-18 MHz. As long as you are not reaching the clipping level of the QS1R's ADC (+9 dBm), you do not need any bandpass filtering in front of the QS1R. The QS1R has more than enough sensitivity below 14 MHz with any reasonable antenna. If you find that when you add the preamp you are having trouble with clipping caused by broadcast stations, you will probably need to add some bandpass filtering or a high pass filter.

      A quick/inexpensive solution that works pretty well is to construct a 3 pole high pass filter with a cutoff of approx. 18 MHz and place it in front of the Clifton Laboratories preamp (I can provide the component values and part numbers). The HPF provides enough attenuation at the lower end of the bands to counteract the gain provided by the preamp.

      I have noticed some unusual behavior when I run Skimmer Server on Windows 7 64 bit - I'd recommend a system with XP if possible. Maybe Alex can say more about Windows 7 and Skimmer Server.

      Regards,
      Phil N8VB

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
        HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
        everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
        Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
        so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
        temperature isn't terribly high.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

        On 4/9/2010 9:16 AM, jmaass_moose wrote:
        > How does the QS1R receiver with "Skimmer Server" provide up to seven bands at a time?
        >
        > Does it hop from band-to-band in sequence, or does it cover seven bands simultaneously?
        >
        > Who is using "Skimmer Server" with a QS1R? Good experience? Reliable hardware?
        >
        > We are planning an unattended installation of a Skimmer site on Curacao. We've been leaning towards what we've used before (multiple SDR-IQ receivers), but the QS1R is a more economical solution.

      • jmaass_moose
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
          Thanks Wes, Phil and Pete!

          We are planning to install at a location away from the PJ2T contest station, and the Skimmer Server will be open to all. We'd like to cover the 160-10 contest bands (non-WARC), and 6m would be a plus.

          It will be unattended in a non-air-conditioned room, which means very warm ambient temperatures on Curacao. Phil, would clamping a heat sink and adding a fan be helpful to keeping the FPGA from buring up?

          I see reference to the SRL RFFE1 Bandpass Filter & RF Attenuator add-on board, but I haven't found a description of what it will do. Is there a description somewhere, and is the target 3Q10 completion date looking firm?

          We hope to have Our Curacao Skimmer Server up and running for CQWW CW in November, which means installing it in mid-November.

          73, Jeff K8ND

          > HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
          > everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
          > Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
          > so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
          > temperature isn't terribly high.
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
        • W0MU Mike Fatchett
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
            It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.

            CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
            W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

            never get over." Ben Franklin

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
              The QS1R is available without an enclosure, and it strikes me that it
              would not be much of a challenge to build a box for it that has lots of
              air moving over the electronics.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.

                73, Pete N4ZR

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                >

                > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194
                >
                > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                > never get over." Ben Franklin

              • jmaass_moose
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

                  Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

                  http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

                  73, Jeff K8ND

                  > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                  >
                  > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >
                  > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                  > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                  > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                  > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                    I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
                    antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
                    there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
                    Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
                    add-ons are available.

                    I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
                    goofy openings.
                  • Jeff Blaine AC0C
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                      Very nice layout Jeff.

                      The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

                      Good luck!

                      73/jeff/ac0c

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
                        different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
                        and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
                        regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
                        direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
                        from the outside of the case.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                          Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
                          run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

                          73, Pete N4ZR

                          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                          The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                          On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
                          > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
                          >
                          > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
                          >
                          > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
                          >
                          > 73, Jeff K8ND
                          >

                          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                          >>
                          >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                          >>
                          >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                          >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                          >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                        • jmaass_moose
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                            Pete:

                            Feel free to grab and use it.

                            The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                            73, Jeff K8ND