"Skimmer Server" with QS1R Receiver

  • jmaass_moose
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
      How does the QS1R receiver with "Skimmer Server" provide up to seven bands at a time?

      Does it hop from band-to-band in sequence, or does it cover seven bands simultaneously?

      Who is using "Skimmer Server" with a QS1R? Good experience? Reliable hardware?

      We are planning an unattended installation of a Skimmer site on Curacao. We've been leaning towards what we've used before (multiple SDR-IQ receivers), but the QS1R is a more economical solution.
    • Wes Cosand
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
        Jeffrey:

        The QS1R has a large FPGA chip on the board. Alex has written code that
        runs on the FPGA chip and creates the seven receivers. The signals are then
        sent by USB to the computer where they are processed. So you have seven
        continuous streams of data of up to 192 kHz each.

        In my hands the system has been pretty robust. The QS1R runs the rf from
        the antenna almost directly into the ADC chip so there is no RF
        pre-amplification. Consequently, it is a little insensitive, especially on
        the higher bands. Since the front end is wide open, if you add lots of
        pre-amplification and you are near broadcast transmitters, you get into IMD
        problems. Some of us are using an 11 db preamp from Clifton Laboratories
        which seems pretty good. Others are using pre-amps with a little more gain.
        Clifton Laboratories also has a high pass filter for receivers with
        broadcast band issues.

        I put the system on a Intel I7 computer running Windows 7 64 bit despite the
        fact that this is not an officially supported OS. For reasons I do not
        understand, the Skimmer Server application begins to report "CPU Overload"
        and starts to decode only a fraction of the signals when I reach about 1100
        simultaneous decoders. This is despite the fact that the machine and the
        application are reporting only about 6 to 8% CPU load. I do not know where
        the bottleneck is. This issue may be unique to my machine. Perhaps a 32 bit
        machine would be better.

        Email me if I can be of further help.

        Wes, WZ7I

        Wes Cosand
        6299 Route 413
        PO Box 349
        Pipersville, PA 18947
        267-864-6161
        www.wz7i.com
        CW Skimmer CQ spots: ve7cc.net:7333

        On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM, jmaass_moose <jmaass@...> wrote:

        > How does the QS1R receiver with "Skimmer Server" provide up to seven bands
        > at a time?
        >
        > Does it hop from band-to-band in sequence, or does it cover seven bands
        > simultaneously?
        >
        > Who is using "Skimmer Server" with a QS1R? Good experience? Reliable
        > hardware?
        >
        > We are planning an unattended installation of a Skimmer site on Curacao.
        > We've been leaning towards what we've used before (multiple SDR-IQ
        > receivers), but the QS1R is a more economical solution.

      • Phil N8VB
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
          I would recommend using the Clifton Laboratories preamp if you find the sensitivity lacking with your particular antenna above 14-18 MHz. As long as you are not reaching the clipping level of the QS1R's ADC (+9 dBm), you do not need any bandpass filtering in front of the QS1R. The QS1R has more than enough sensitivity below 14 MHz with any reasonable antenna. If you find that when you add the preamp you are having trouble with clipping caused by broadcast stations, you will probably need to add some bandpass filtering or a high pass filter.

          A quick/inexpensive solution that works pretty well is to construct a 3 pole high pass filter with a cutoff of approx. 18 MHz and place it in front of the Clifton Laboratories preamp (I can provide the component values and part numbers). The HPF provides enough attenuation at the lower end of the bands to counteract the gain provided by the preamp.

          I have noticed some unusual behavior when I run Skimmer Server on Windows 7 64 bit - I'd recommend a system with XP if possible. Maybe Alex can say more about Windows 7 and Skimmer Server.

          Regards,
          Phil N8VB

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 9, 2010
            HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
            everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
            Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
            so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
            temperature isn't terribly high.

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
              Thanks Wes, Phil and Pete!

              We are planning to install at a location away from the PJ2T contest station, and the Skimmer Server will be open to all. We'd like to cover the 160-10 contest bands (non-WARC), and 6m would be a plus.

              It will be unattended in a non-air-conditioned room, which means very warm ambient temperatures on Curacao. Phil, would clamping a heat sink and adding a fan be helpful to keeping the FPGA from buring up?

              I see reference to the SRL RFFE1 Bandpass Filter & RF Attenuator add-on board, but I haven't found a description of what it will do. Is there a description somewhere, and is the target 3Q10 completion date looking firm?

              We hope to have Our Curacao Skimmer Server up and running for CQWW CW in November, which means installing it in mid-November.

              73, Jeff K8ND

              > HGi Jeff - I have gone this route now myself. I heartily endorse
              > everything that Phil and Wes said. One consideration that may be
              > Curacao-relevant is that the QS1R runs pretty warm with Skimmer Server,
              > so you'd want to make sure that it is in a room whose ambient
              > temperature isn't terribly high.
              >
              > 73, Pete N4ZR
            • W0MU Mike Fatchett
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.

                CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                never get over." Ben Franklin

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                  The QS1R is available without an enclosure, and it strikes me that it
                  would not be much of a challenge to build a box for it that has lots of
                  air moving over the electronics.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                  The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                    Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                    The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                    On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                    > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                    >

                    > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                    > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194
                    >
                    > "A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may
                    > never get over." Ben Franklin

                  • jmaass_moose
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                      Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.

                      Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:

                      http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf

                      73, Jeff K8ND

                      > Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                      >
                      > 73, Pete N4ZR
                      >
                      > On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                      > > It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                      > > CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                      > > W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                    • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                        I just ordered the QS1R. I am going to try it with the DX eng active rcv
                        antenna. I will test it in Montana this summer and may either leave it
                        there or bring it back to Denver. I plan to use a broadcast filter and DX
                        Eng wideband preamp initially with a homebrew protection circuit until the
                        add-ons are available.

                        I see great value for the RBN especially on 6m with all the beacons and the
                        goofy openings.
                      • Jeff Blaine AC0C
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                          Very nice layout Jeff.

                          The Clifton Labs stuff is top notch and complement your layout very nicely.

                          Good luck!

                          73/jeff/ac0c

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                            Looks first-class, Jeff. The only thing I would suggest is to build a
                            different case for the QS1R and put a small 12V muffin fan on one end
                            and a grille on the other. The heat is being generated by ICs and
                            regulators, Phil says, and it will be much more effective if you can
                            direct the moving air right at the ICs instead of relying on transfer
                            from the outside of the case.

                            73, Pete N4ZR

                            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                              Jeff, can I reference this in an upcoming column in NCJ (or maybe even
                              run a copy of it there? It's a very effective how-to.

                              73, Pete N4ZR

                              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                              On 4/11/2010 2:52 PM, jmaass_moose wrote:
                              > Yes, I've seen that. The SRL 2 Amp supply is in the plans.
                              >
                              > Here's a link to my first-cut block diagram of our proposed installation:
                              >
                              > http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/Curacao_Skimmer_Server_Proposed.pdf
                              >
                              > 73, Jeff K8ND
                              >

                              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Yes, that's right. Moving a lot of electrons.
                              >>
                              >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                              >>
                              >> On 4/11/2010 2:16 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> It appears you need a 2000mah supply if you plan to run all bands too.
                              >>> CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
                              >>> W0MU.NET or 67.40.148.194

                            • jmaass_moose
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 12, 2010
                                Pete:

                                Feel free to grab and use it.

                                The version of the diagram currently online is subject to change as we move forward, either due to budget reasons or as we do more research and experimentation.

                                73, Jeff K8ND