RE: [dxatlas] Upgrading DX Atlas

  • Bob Lafont
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
      Has anyone upgraded DX Atlas from 1.x to 2.x ?

      And if you have how did you go about getting the upgrade?

      73-Bob
      WA2MNO

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
        > While we're on the subject, a question I have wondered about -- why do Ham
        > Cap's charts not have a graduated hour scale on the X axis? Have I missed
        > an option to turn them on?

        HamCap is an interactive application. When you move the mouse cursor over
        the chart, the time and all other parameters of the point under the cursor
        are displayed on the status bar.

        I tried to make the HamCap window as small as possible so that it could be
        used during contesting and DXing when screen space is a valuable resource,
        so I removed all unnecessary elements form the user interface, including the
        time scale on the chart.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
          A while ago I did some comparisons of median SNR predictions from VOACAP to
          the observations of NCSXF beacons. Ingemar SM5AJV developed a program that
          measures the SNR of beacon signals using a sound card and an FFT
          transformation. A correlator is used to compare the received waveform to
          that of the beacon's callsign, to make sure that the signal actually comes
          from the beacon. Ingemar was kind enough to send me his logs for June 2004,
          these logs cover about 24% of the month.

          I developed a viewer utility for the logs that converts the observed SNR
          values
          into dB-Hz, calculates medians, and plots both predicted and observed median
          values along with the observation points for the selected beacon and band.
          The program lacks a sophisticated user interface, which I may develop in the
          future if there is sufficient interest. A few screenshots of typical plots
          are here: http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/SnrPlot.zip .

          For those who want to play with the viewer, I uploaded it to
          http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/VoaAnal.zip .
          The zip file also includes the observation data, with permission
          from Ingemar. Please preserve the directory structure when unzipping.

          Though this is just the first alpha version of the program and thus it may
          contain errors, the plots it produces are very interesting. The shape of the
          VOACAP prediction chart is very close to that of the observation chart,
          though the absolute values are way off. On average, VOACAP underestimates
          the SNR by 20+ dB.

          Also, these charts explain why the median SNR is a bad indicator of
          propagation conditions. The median value makes sense only for unimodal
          distributions, while the distribution of SNR is bi-modal at best (that is,
          has two or more peaks). One peak is formed by the observations that where
          performed when the path was open with a good propagation mode, and one or
          more peaks come from the days when only very lossy modes were available or
          the path was closed.

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
            OK - thanks! Makes sense.

            73, Pete

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
              [With apologies to readers of the VOACAP list, who are joining this in
              mid-thread, I feel that Bill and I are floundering fairly far out of our
              depth in this discussion that began on the dxatlas list. The question
              began as what SSN to use in Ham Cap, a simplified front end for
              VOACAP. HamCAP comes with a table of predicted international SSNs, but can
              also link with IonoProbe, which downloads daily SSNs from the SEC. VE3NEA,
              the author of Ham Cap, prefers the SEC numbers, but the variance from the
              international SSns is considerable, with the SEC number typically running
              much higher. Any advice appreciated!]

              Bill, there's some apples and oranges, or something going on
              here. IonoProbe gets its numbers from the Joint USAF/NOAA Solar and
              Geophysical Activity Summary. Here's a sample:

              "SGAS Number 099 Issued at 0245Z on 09 Apr 2005
              This report is compiled from data received at SWO on 08 Apr
              A. Energetic Events
              Begin Max End Rgn Loc Xray Op 245MHz 10cm Sweep
              None
              B. Proton Events: None
              C. Geomagnetic Activity Summary: The geomagnetic field was quiet.
              D. Stratwarm: Not Available
              E. Daily Indices: (real-time preliminary/estimated values)
              10 cm 088 SSN 056 Afr/Ap 005/004 ...."

              Ionoprobe's retrospective record of these reports shows March 12 (chosen
              randomly) with a SSN of 67, versus 42 on the table you cite. March 18 is
              37 versus 25, and so on.

              I have no idea what the explanation is, though I do note that there is
              another table, ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/2005
              , which gives the numbers just for this year to date and states that
              "Values are preliminary after Dec 2004."

              There is an interesting explanation of how various sunspot numbers are
              calculated in
              ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict. It
              seems clear from this explanation that the international sunspot number is
              a highly-massaged, worldwide average number that does not become final for
              some months after the date of observation. By contrast, the number cited
              in the SGAS is the SEC's every-six-hour figure, and must be based strictly
              on its own observations. An interesting graph at
              http://www.nwra-az.com/spawx/comp.html speaks to this. To quote from the
              caption:

              " This plot illustrates the differences between the "real" sunspot number
              (SSN), which is calculated from optical observations of the sun, a sunspot
              number derived from the 10.7cm solar radio flux (SSNf), and a sunspot
              number derived from fitting an ionospheric model to ionospheric
              measurements. All of these indices are used as inputs to models of the
              ionosphere for use in communications-performance predictions - this plot
              shows that they don't always agree as to what the SSN should be in that
              particular context.

              Note: The F10.7-derived SSN (SSNf) is calculated from the 10.7cm solar
              radio flux (the Penticton Radio Observatory noon value) using the following
              relationship:

              F10.7 = 63.74 + 0.727*SSNf + 0.000895*SSNf**2

              So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is wondering why
              we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices, or
              at least the SSNf, which would be closer to the values Bill cited than to
              the current high value of optically-observed SSN. On the other hand, Alex
              argues that results from using the lower SSNs seem to run consistently low
              in terms of predicted vs. observed S/R ratio.

              It would be interesting to pass this discussion over to the VOACAP list and
              see what the gurus there, particularly including Greg Hand and George Lane,
              think of it. In fact, I have done that, and it will be interesting to see
              what comes of it.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              At 09:12 AM 4/9/2005, bill_w4zv wrote:

              >I wrote:
              >
              > > Maybe the logic of
              > > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.
              >
              >Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
              >28.4 using this data:
              >
              >ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT
              >
              >I don't have IonoProbe, but it must have a problem if the 47 number
              >Pete quoted for the IonoProbe calculation is correct. Anyhow, now I
              >know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
              >which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.
              >
              >73, Bill
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bill_w4zv
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:

                > So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is
                wondering why
                > we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices,

                I agree. Seems like measured solar flux, which supposedly shows the
                actual effect of sunspots on the ionosphere, would be better. After
                all, when there is a large CME, we often can see little effect on the
                ionosphere depending on how it's directed toward Earth, which way Bz
                points, etc. Of course if VOACAP was originally based on SSN's, then
                maybe they should be the input. Hopefully Greg Hand will respond, and
                please post anything of interest here since I am not on that list. No
                model is any better than its input..."Garbage In Garbage Out" as
                someone said.

                73, Bill
              • bill_w4zv
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                  I wrote: The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                  28.4 using this data:
                  ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

                  VE3NEA wrote: These are the RI indices, not daily SSN values.

                  Alex, the NOAA site below calls these "Provisional International
                  Sunspot Numbers, so what do you mean they are not daily SSN numbers?
                  See especially their comments preceded by ***** below:
                  ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict

                  >The provisional daily Zurich relative sunspot numbers, Rz, were based
                  upon
                  observations made at Zurich and its two branch stations in Arosa and
                  Locarno
                  and communicated by M. Waldmeier of the Swiss Federal Observatory.
                  Beginning
                  January 1, 1981, the Zurich relative sunspot number program is
                  replaced by
                  the "Sunspot Index Data Center" (c/o Dr. P. Cugnon, 3 av. Circulaire,
                  B-1180
                  Bruxelles, Belgium).

                  ***** The determination of the provisional International Sunspot
                  Numbers Ri results from a statistical treatment of the data
                  originating from more than twenty-five observing stations. These
                  stations constitute an international network, with the Locarno
                  (Switzerland) station as the reference station, to guarantee
                  continuity with the past Zurich series of Rz.*****

                  >The definitive International Sunspot Numbers Ri are evaluated by a
                  similar method based on a network of observing stations selected for
                  their
                  high number of observations, their continuity during the whole year
                  and an
                  existing series of observations during the last years. Also taken into
                  account is the stability of the K monthly factors with reference to the
                  Locarno station.

                  *****These relative sunspot numbers are now designated Ri
                  (International) instead of Rz (Zurich).*****

                  It seems to me Ri is exactly what should be used, but am really
                  waiting to see what Greg Hand, etc. of VOACAP have to say.

                  73, Bill