New user

  • Mario Aviles
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26, 2010
      H Group:

      Just signed in to this group as a CWSkimmer user. Have two questions, if these have been dicussed earlier, my apologies.

      Bought a key to CWSkimmer about a week ago for version 1.5. I wonder if this key will work for version 1.6?

      What are the improvements on version 1.6?

      I am using it with a Flex 5000, still in 3khz mode, eventhough there is no specific support for this radio on the hardware type setting, I understand it can be confirgured as another radio.

      I belong to various user groups and do believe in the benefits of sharing concerns with other users.

      73´s

      Mario/YS1MAE

    • Jerry Flanders
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
        At 02:27 AM 3/27/2010, you wrote:

        >...I am using it with a Flex 5000, still in 3khz
        >mode, eventhough there is no specific support
        >for this radio on the hardware type setting, I
        >understand it can be confirgured as another radio....
        >
        >I belong to various user groups and do believe
        >in the benefits of sharing concerns with other users.
        >
        >73´s
        >
        >Mario/YS1MAE

        You can run CW Skimmer in the I/Q mode to see a
        larger slice on the primary 5000a receiver, even
        without the VAC program as follows:

        In PowerSDR Setup, click: AUDIO, VAC, OUTPUT TO VAC, OK

        In Skimmer: VIEW, SETTINGS, RADIO, check
        Softrock-IF, set Pitch 600 and Audio IF 8400.
        Also Sampling Rate 96kHz ( I am using 96 kHz for
        PowerSDR AUDIO PRIMARY Sample Rate.) In CAT,
        configure rig1 for Kenwood. In Audio, use WDM and
        01 Flexradio Audio and Left/Right - Q/I

        Setup VCOM or com0com as recommended in the
        flex-radio KB to connect PowerSDR CAT to Skimmer
        for freq control. Fine tune the Audio IF 8400
        value for accurate clicktune, if needed.

        I see 23 kHz of signals when set as above.
        Skimmer freq display follows PowerSDR and
        PowerSDR also follows clicktunes in Skimmer

        Do not use PowerSDR SR - Skimmer can't cope.

        I am using XP PRO, PowerSDR V1.18.0 from Flex
        site and CW Skimmer V 1.4. Later versions should work the same.

        Jerry W4UK
      • Mario Aviles
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
          Thank you for your input Jerry, I will try it this afternoon and will let you
          know.

          23khz should be more than enough HI, on the samples on the Skimmer website
          they show only 9 Khz.

          Have you tried the skimmer server? I have a SDR IQ receiver which is only
          190KHz wide, Would be great to be able to monitor 6 bands at once.

          73´s and thanks for your help.

          Mario/YS1MAE

          El Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:09:12 -0400
          Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@...> ha escrito:

          >>>You can run CW Skimmer in the I/Q mode to see a
          >>>larger slice on the primary 5000a receiver, even
          >>>without the VAC program as follows:
          >>>
          >>>In PowerSDR Setup, click: AUDIO, VAC, OUTPUT TO VAC, OK
          >>>
          >>>In Skimmer: VIEW, SETTINGS, RADIO, check
          >>>Softrock-IF, set Pitch 600 and Audio IF 8400.
          >>>Also Sampling Rate 96kHz ( I am using 96 kHz for
          >>>PowerSDR AUDIO PRIMARY Sample Rate.) In CAT,
          >>>configure rig1 for Kenwood. In Audio, use WDM and
          >>>01 Flexradio Audio and Left/Right - Q/I
          >>>
          >>>Setup VCOM or com0com as recommended in the
          >>>flex-radio KB to connect PowerSDR CAT to Skimmer
          >>>for freq control. Fine tune the Audio IF 8400
          >>>value for accurate clicktune, if needed.
          >>>
          >>>I see 23 kHz of signals when set as above.
          >>>Skimmer freq display follows PowerSDR and
          >>>PowerSDR also follows clicktunes in Skimmer
          >>>
          >>>Do not use PowerSDR SR - Skimmer can't cope.
          >>>
          >>>I am using XP PRO, PowerSDR V1.18.0 from Flex
          >>>site and CW Skimmer V 1.4. Later versions should work the same.
          >>>
          >>>Jerry W4UK

          !Navega con el Internet Gratis de AmNet!
          Descarga el Programa de Instalación.
          Visítanos en www.amnetcable.com
          Para cualquier consulta llamanos al 2207-4000
        • Jerry Flanders
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
            I am limited by the resolution of my monitor - my
            monitor displays 1680 pixels vertically, and I
            can see 18 KHz simultaneously from Skimmer- I
            have to slide the scale to see more. It is
            actually displaying 23 KHz or so, but I can't see
            it until I slide. As far as I know, you cannot "zoom" the display to see more.

            Don't know anything about SDR IQ.

            Anybody wanting to monitor several bands or areas
            with conventional equipment should investigate
            wd5eae's CW Skimmer Scheduler. Read about it at
            www.wd5eae.org/Software.html - A REALLY neat program.

            Jerry W4UK

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
              The appeal of being able to cover a wider slice of one or more bands is
              the ability to decode signals and pass spots to a logging program.

              The SDR-IQ is a nice receiver. W2RF's RigSync and W3OA's Skimscan do a
              really nice job of automating band-changing. But the ultimate (so far)
              is Alex's Skimmer Server, which works with the QS1R receiver to decode
              up to 192 KHz of each of 7 bands, simultaneously

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
                Hi Jerry:

                I tried your suggestion and it works great. After getting the hang of it and doing some trial and error finally everything is in place on RX. This evening I tried TX and I noticed that eventough I set the drive to 15 watts I get about 60 out. When I stop CW Skimmer it goes back to normal, drive at 15 output at 15. Then I start CW Skimmer, and again, drive 15 output 60. There must be something wrong with the audio level on the Flexradio Audio setting. Noticed that to get the proper signal within the green window on CW Skimmer I have to select the opposite mode, for example for above 14mhs operation instead of CWU I need to select CWL
                The other question is that if I should go back and deselect the output to VAC on the VAC setup window in PSDR when I am doing normal SSB operation?

                Did you experience the same thing?

                Thanks for your help

                73´s

                Mario/YS1MAE

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
                  I have used mine in receive mode only, Mario, so
                  I haven't seen any transmit problems with it. I
                  don't see why your power level would change.

                  Jerry W4UK