Re: [dxatlas] 90-day SSN data for HamCAP

  • bill_w4zv
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
      I wrote:

      > Maybe the logic of
      > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.

      Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
      28.4 using this data:

      ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

      I don't have IonoProbe, but it must have a problem if the 47 number
      Pete quoted for the IonoProbe calculation is correct. Anyhow, now I
      know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
      which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.

      73, Bill
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
        > Yet the average montthly sunspots for the past 3 months are:
        > 2005 01 31.3
        > 2005 02 29.1
        > 2005 03 24.8
        > Average = 28.4, which is very close to the built-in 30 and current
        > NOAA predicted 28.5.
        > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/MONTHLY.PLT
        > How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
        > different by nearly a factor of two!

        I am not sure how monthly values presented on that page are calculated.
        IonoProbe just averages the last 90 daily values from
        http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/DSD.txt and
        http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/indices/old_indices/

        > Could IonoProbe's calculation be off by one year? I notice 47 is very
        > close to the SSN numbers for this time last year:
        > 2004 52.0 49.3 47.1 45.6 43.9 41.7 40.2 39.2 37.5
        > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/SMOOTHED
        > And the average of 49.3, 47.1, and 45.6 is 47.3. Maybe the logic of
        > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.

        IonoProbe does not have access to the data from the last year.

        > Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
        > 28.4 using this data:
        > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

        These are the RI indices, not daily SSN values.

        > Anyhow, now I
        > know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
        > which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.

        You may want to enter the latest NOAA forecasts in the SSN.dat file using
        Notepad, then HamCap will use these data automatically.

        73 Alex VE3NEA
      • Bob Lafont
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
          Has anyone upgraded DX Atlas from 1.x to 2.x ?

          And if you have how did you go about getting the upgrade?

          73-Bob
          WA2MNO

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
            > While we're on the subject, a question I have wondered about -- why do Ham
            > Cap's charts not have a graduated hour scale on the X axis? Have I missed
            > an option to turn them on?

            HamCap is an interactive application. When you move the mouse cursor over
            the chart, the time and all other parameters of the point under the cursor
            are displayed on the status bar.

            I tried to make the HamCap window as small as possible so that it could be
            used during contesting and DXing when screen space is a valuable resource,
            so I removed all unnecessary elements form the user interface, including the
            time scale on the chart.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
              A while ago I did some comparisons of median SNR predictions from VOACAP to
              the observations of NCSXF beacons. Ingemar SM5AJV developed a program that
              measures the SNR of beacon signals using a sound card and an FFT
              transformation. A correlator is used to compare the received waveform to
              that of the beacon's callsign, to make sure that the signal actually comes
              from the beacon. Ingemar was kind enough to send me his logs for June 2004,
              these logs cover about 24% of the month.

              I developed a viewer utility for the logs that converts the observed SNR
              values
              into dB-Hz, calculates medians, and plots both predicted and observed median
              values along with the observation points for the selected beacon and band.
              The program lacks a sophisticated user interface, which I may develop in the
              future if there is sufficient interest. A few screenshots of typical plots
              are here: http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/SnrPlot.zip .

              For those who want to play with the viewer, I uploaded it to
              http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/VoaAnal.zip .
              The zip file also includes the observation data, with permission
              from Ingemar. Please preserve the directory structure when unzipping.

              Though this is just the first alpha version of the program and thus it may
              contain errors, the plots it produces are very interesting. The shape of the
              VOACAP prediction chart is very close to that of the observation chart,
              though the absolute values are way off. On average, VOACAP underestimates
              the SNR by 20+ dB.

              Also, these charts explain why the median SNR is a bad indicator of
              propagation conditions. The median value makes sense only for unimodal
              distributions, while the distribution of SNR is bi-modal at best (that is,
              has two or more peaks). One peak is formed by the observations that where
              performed when the path was open with a good propagation mode, and one or
              more peaks come from the days when only very lossy modes were available or
              the path was closed.

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                OK - thanks! Makes sense.

                73, Pete

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                  [With apologies to readers of the VOACAP list, who are joining this in
                  mid-thread, I feel that Bill and I are floundering fairly far out of our
                  depth in this discussion that began on the dxatlas list. The question
                  began as what SSN to use in Ham Cap, a simplified front end for
                  VOACAP. HamCAP comes with a table of predicted international SSNs, but can
                  also link with IonoProbe, which downloads daily SSNs from the SEC. VE3NEA,
                  the author of Ham Cap, prefers the SEC numbers, but the variance from the
                  international SSns is considerable, with the SEC number typically running
                  much higher. Any advice appreciated!]

                  Bill, there's some apples and oranges, or something going on
                  here. IonoProbe gets its numbers from the Joint USAF/NOAA Solar and
                  Geophysical Activity Summary. Here's a sample:

                  "SGAS Number 099 Issued at 0245Z on 09 Apr 2005
                  This report is compiled from data received at SWO on 08 Apr
                  A. Energetic Events
                  Begin Max End Rgn Loc Xray Op 245MHz 10cm Sweep
                  None
                  B. Proton Events: None
                  C. Geomagnetic Activity Summary: The geomagnetic field was quiet.
                  D. Stratwarm: Not Available
                  E. Daily Indices: (real-time preliminary/estimated values)
                  10 cm 088 SSN 056 Afr/Ap 005/004 ...."

                  Ionoprobe's retrospective record of these reports shows March 12 (chosen
                  randomly) with a SSN of 67, versus 42 on the table you cite. March 18 is
                  37 versus 25, and so on.

                  I have no idea what the explanation is, though I do note that there is
                  another table, ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/2005
                  , which gives the numbers just for this year to date and states that
                  "Values are preliminary after Dec 2004."

                  There is an interesting explanation of how various sunspot numbers are
                  calculated in
                  ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict. It
                  seems clear from this explanation that the international sunspot number is
                  a highly-massaged, worldwide average number that does not become final for
                  some months after the date of observation. By contrast, the number cited
                  in the SGAS is the SEC's every-six-hour figure, and must be based strictly
                  on its own observations. An interesting graph at
                  http://www.nwra-az.com/spawx/comp.html speaks to this. To quote from the
                  caption:

                  " This plot illustrates the differences between the "real" sunspot number
                  (SSN), which is calculated from optical observations of the sun, a sunspot
                  number derived from the 10.7cm solar radio flux (SSNf), and a sunspot
                  number derived from fitting an ionospheric model to ionospheric
                  measurements. All of these indices are used as inputs to models of the
                  ionosphere for use in communications-performance predictions - this plot
                  shows that they don't always agree as to what the SSN should be in that
                  particular context.

                  Note: The F10.7-derived SSN (SSNf) is calculated from the 10.7cm solar
                  radio flux (the Penticton Radio Observatory noon value) using the following
                  relationship:

                  F10.7 = 63.74 + 0.727*SSNf + 0.000895*SSNf**2

                  So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is wondering why
                  we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices, or
                  at least the SSNf, which would be closer to the values Bill cited than to
                  the current high value of optically-observed SSN. On the other hand, Alex
                  argues that results from using the lower SSNs seem to run consistently low
                  in terms of predicted vs. observed S/R ratio.

                  It would be interesting to pass this discussion over to the VOACAP list and
                  see what the gurus there, particularly including Greg Hand and George Lane,
                  think of it. In fact, I have done that, and it will be interesting to see
                  what comes of it.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  At 09:12 AM 4/9/2005, bill_w4zv wrote:

                  >I wrote:
                  >
                  > > Maybe the logic of
                  > > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.
                  >
                  >Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                  >28.4 using this data:
                  >
                  >ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT
                  >
                  >I don't have IonoProbe, but it must have a problem if the 47 number
                  >Pete quoted for the IonoProbe calculation is correct. Anyhow, now I
                  >know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
                  >which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.
                  >
                  >73, Bill
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • bill_w4zv
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:

                    > So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is
                    wondering why
                    > we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices,

                    I agree. Seems like measured solar flux, which supposedly shows the
                    actual effect of sunspots on the ionosphere, would be better. After
                    all, when there is a large CME, we often can see little effect on the
                    ionosphere depending on how it's directed toward Earth, which way Bz
                    points, etc. Of course if VOACAP was originally based on SSN's, then
                    maybe they should be the input. Hopefully Greg Hand will respond, and
                    please post anything of interest here since I am not on that list. No
                    model is any better than its input..."Garbage In Garbage Out" as
                    someone said.

                    73, Bill
                  • bill_w4zv
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                      I wrote: The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                      28.4 using this data:
                      ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

                      VE3NEA wrote: These are the RI indices, not daily SSN values.

                      Alex, the NOAA site below calls these "Provisional International
                      Sunspot Numbers, so what do you mean they are not daily SSN numbers?
                      See especially their comments preceded by ***** below:
                      ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict

                      >The provisional daily Zurich relative sunspot numbers, Rz, were based
                      upon
                      observations made at Zurich and its two branch stations in Arosa and
                      Locarno
                      and communicated by M. Waldmeier of the Swiss Federal Observatory.
                      Beginning
                      January 1, 1981, the Zurich relative sunspot number program is
                      replaced by
                      the "Sunspot Index Data Center" (c/o Dr. P. Cugnon, 3 av. Circulaire,
                      B-1180
                      Bruxelles, Belgium).

                      ***** The determination of the provisional International Sunspot
                      Numbers Ri results from a statistical treatment of the data
                      originating from more than twenty-five observing stations. These
                      stations constitute an international network, with the Locarno
                      (Switzerland) station as the reference station, to guarantee
                      continuity with the past Zurich series of Rz.*****

                      >The definitive International Sunspot Numbers Ri are evaluated by a
                      similar method based on a network of observing stations selected for
                      their
                      high number of observations, their continuity during the whole year
                      and an
                      existing series of observations during the last years. Also taken into
                      account is the stability of the K monthly factors with reference to the
                      Locarno station.

                      *****These relative sunspot numbers are now designated Ri
                      (International) instead of Rz (Zurich).*****

                      It seems to me Ri is exactly what should be used, but am really
                      waiting to see what Greg Hand, etc. of VOACAP have to say.

                      73, Bill