RE: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.6

  • Dave AA6YQ
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
      Sounds like the OmniRig built into Skimmer is polling too slowly. Try
      reducing the polling interval to 100 ms.

      73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
        Polling intervals really just exacerbate the problem - my question has
        more to do with why the jump the TX frequency happens at all...

        Looking closer, using a serial port monitor, I see Skimmer sending
        FA, FB and IF commands to the K3. The only thing that changes when I
        transmit (in split mode), is the 't' bit in the IF response (which
        shows that the rig is TXing). The FA and FB response do not change.

        In RX:

        FA;
        FA00010115000;
        FB;
        FB00010117700;
        IF;
        IF00010115000 -000000 0003001001;

        In TX:

        FA;
        FA00010115000;
        FB;
        FB00010117700;
        IF;
        IF00010115000 -000000 0013001001;

        So, the question is, why does Skimmer jump to the VFO B frequency when
        it sees that the K3 is TXing, and can that be suppressed somehow?

        ~Iain / N6ML

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
          Hi Iain,

          To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
          enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines to
          the OmniRig.ini file:

          [Debug]
          Log=1

          With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log file
          upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
          OmniRig interprets these data.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            This could be achieved by creating a new ini file for your radio, with the
            VfoA and VfoB commands swapped. You would then switch between VFO A and VFO
            B by selecting either the standard or modified ini file. Such files already
            exist for some radios and can be easily created for others. See also my
            reply to Dave's AA6YQ posting.

            Thanks Alex for the update:
            Any chance for VFOB selection? Many users, I think, beside nyself use VFOB
            in split mode to find a clear frequency or to clamp on the last station
            called in pile-ups while we have VFOA on the DX signal; using all filters
            possible to hear him. 73, Jim w8wy
          • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
              HI Alex,

              In the log, I see this when I go into TX:

              22:57:03.098 RIG1 reply received:
              4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303133303031303231203B
              22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmTx enabled
              22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoBA enabled
              22:57:03.098 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
              22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
              22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent

              and on return to RX:

              22:57:05.726 RIG1 reply received:
              4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303033303031303231203B
              22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmRx enabled
              22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoAB enabled
              22:57:05.727 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
              22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
              22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent

              I'm not sure what exactly "pmVfoAB" signifies, but seems to always be
              "enabled", so it still seems to be the TX status that causes Skimmer to jump
              the the VFO B frequency... ?

              ~Iain / N6ML

              On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Alex, VE3NEA <alshovk@...> wrote:

              > Hi Iain,
              >
              > To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
              > enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines
              > the OmniRig.ini file:
              >
              > [Debug]
              > Log=1
              >
              > With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log file
              >
              > upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
              > OmniRig interprets these data.

            • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                Oops .. I didn't read closely enough .. the first one is pmVfoBA!!
                Interesting...

                Poking around in the "Elecraft K3.ini" now... maybe I can fudge something
                in here...

                ~Iain / N6ML

                On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@...>wrote:

                > HI Alex,
                >
                > In the log, I see this when I go into TX:
                >
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 reply received:
                > 4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303133303031303231203B
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmTx enabled
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoBA enabled
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
                > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
                >
                > and on return to RX:
                >
                > 22:57:05.726 RIG1 reply received:
                > 4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303033303031303231203B
                > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmRx enabled
                > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoAB enabled
                > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
                > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
                >

                > I'm not sure what exactly "pmVfoAB" signifies, but seems to always be
                > "enabled", so it still seems to be the TX status that causes Skimmer to jump
                > the the VFO B frequency... ?
                >
                > ~Iain / N6ML
                >

                > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Alex, VE3NEA <alshovk@...>wrote:
                >

                >> Hi Iain,
                >>
                >> To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
                >> enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines
                >> the OmniRig.ini file:
                >>
                >> [Debug]
                >> Log=1
                >>
                >> With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log
                >> file
                >> upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
                >>
                >> OmniRig interprets these data.
                >>
                >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

              • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                  Incase anyone's interested; in my "Elecraft K3.ini", I changed:

                  Flag17=(............................0.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                  Flag18=(............................0.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                  Flag19=(............................1.0.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                  Flag20=(............................1.1.1.....)|pmVfoAB

                  to:

                  Flag17=(............................0.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                  Flag18=(............................0.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                  Flag19=(............................1.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                  Flag20=(............................1.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA

                  I'm not sure what that logic was for switching to "receive on VFO B,
                  transmit on VFO A" when transmitting (Flag19) and back on receive (Flag17)
                  when in split mode, but I doesn't make sense to me. The change seems to do
                  what I want, with no adverse side-effects so-far.

                  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, Alex!

                  As a side-note, there are two "Flag21"s in my K3 file - looks like a bug?

                  ~Iain / N6ML

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                    Hi Iain,

                    The pmVfoAB flag indicates that the currently used VFO is VfoA, and a switch
                    between TX and RX would switch the radio to VfoB. It looks like most of the
                    commands in the Elecraft ini file were copied from the Kenwood file.
                    However, while the Kenwood radios send the transmit frequency in the IF
                    response when transmitting, the excerpts from the log you have posted
                    indicate that K3 always sends the receive frequency, regardless of the tx/rx
                    state. Your fix seems address this difference.

                    You are right, the second Flag21 must be renamed to Flag22.

                    Thank you for your corrections! Please send me the corrected ini file, I
                    will upload it to the OmniRig web page (when I return from the trip to VE7).