RE: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer 1.6

  • Greg - AB7R
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
      A program called RigSync by Ed Russell handles split with Skimmer. It has a checkbox
      that when checked clicking a new freq on Skimmer will change the TX freq but leave
      the RX freq alone.

      Still. It would be nice to have as part of DXL since it does just about everything
      else. :)

      -------------------------
      73,
      Greg - AB7R
      Whidbey Island WA
      NA-065

      On Mon Mar 22 11:48 , "Dave AA6YQ" sent:

      > Alex, several users of CW Skimmer and DXLab have requested this capability.
      >

      >Does CW Skimmer know whether the transceiver is in Split mode? If so, your
      >
      >providing a "use VFO B when in split mode" option would benefit all CW
      >
      >Skimmer users.
      >

      >If you don't plan to implement this capability, I will -- in combination
      >
      >with DXLab Commander, which does know whether or not the transceiver is in
      >
      >Split mode. Please let me know one way or the other.
      >

      >Nice to work you from 8P9RY...
      >

      >73,
      >

      >Dave, AA6YQ

    • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
        On a somewhat related note....

        One of the biggest frustrations I have at the moment is when using CW
        Skimmer to track DX pileups, when I transmit (on my K3 (w/
        LP-Pan/LP-Bridge), skimmer jumps to the TX frequency, and sticks there for a
        while after I stop sending, then jumps back to the RX frequency. In the
        window between returning to RX, and skimmer catching up, the waterfall is
        offset by the QSX, making it a pain to line up the guy sending "5NN TU" with
        the actual frequency that I want to call on next.

        I haven't spent a lot of time trying to diagnose this yet - I assume the K3
        must be reporting the TX frequency in response to some polling command....
        but wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for this...?

        ~Iain / N6ML

        On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Greg - AB7R <ab7r@...> wrote:

        > A program called RigSync by Ed Russell handles split with Skimmer. It has a
        > checkbox
        > that when checked clicking a new freq on Skimmer will change the TX freq
        > but leave
        > the RX freq alone.
        >
        > Still. It would be nice to have as part of DXL since it does just about
        > everything
        > else. :)
        >
        > -------------------------
        > 73,
        > Greg - AB7R
        > Whidbey Island WA
        > NA-065
        >

        > On Mon Mar 22 11:48 , "Dave AA6YQ" sent:
        >

        > > Alex, several users of CW Skimmer and DXLab have requested this
        > capability.
        > >

        > >Does CW Skimmer know whether the transceiver is in Split mode? If so, your
        >

        > >providing a "use VFO B when in split mode" option would benefit all CW
        > >
        > >Skimmer users.
        > >

        > >If you don't plan to implement this capability, I will -- in combination
        > >
        > >with DXLab Commander, which does know whether or not the transceiver is in
        >

        > >Split mode. Please let me know one way or the other.
        > >

        > >Nice to work you from 8P9RY...
        > >

        > >73,
        > >

        > >Dave, AA6YQ

      • Dave AA6YQ
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
          Sounds like the OmniRig built into Skimmer is polling too slowly. Try
          reducing the polling interval to 100 ms.

          73,

          Dave, AA6YQ

          One of the biggest frustrations I have at the moment is when using CW
          Skimmer to track DX pileups, when I transmit (on my K3 (w/
          LP-Pan/LP-Bridge), skimmer jumps to the TX frequency, and sticks there for a
          while after I stop sending, then jumps back to the RX frequency. In the
          window between returning to RX, and skimmer catching up, the waterfall is
          offset by the QSX, making it a pain to line up the guy sending "5NN TU" with
          the actual frequency that I want to call on next.

          I haven't spent a lot of time trying to diagnose this yet - I assume the K3
          must be reporting the TX frequency in response to some polling command....
          but wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for this...?

          ~Iain / N6ML

          On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Greg - AB7R <ab7r@...> wrote:

          A program called RigSync by Ed Russell handles split with Skimmer. It has
          a checkbox
          that when checked clicking a new freq on Skimmer will change the TX freq
          but leave
          the RX freq alone.

          Still. It would be nice to have as part of DXL since it does just about
          everything
          else. :)

          -------------------------
          73,
          Greg - AB7R
          Whidbey Island WA
          NA-065

          On Mon Mar 22 11:48 , "Dave AA6YQ" sent:

          > Alex, several users of CW Skimmer and DXLab have requested this
          capability.

          >Does CW Skimmer know whether the transceiver is in Split mode? If so,
          your

          >providing a "use VFO B when in split mode" option would benefit all CW
          >
          >Skimmer users.
          >

          >If you don't plan to implement this capability, I will -- in combination
          >
          >with DXLab Commander, which does know whether or not the transceiver is
          in

          >Split mode. Please let me know one way or the other.
          >

          >Nice to work you from 8P9RY...
          >

          >73,
          >

          >Dave, AA6YQ

        • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
            Polling intervals really just exacerbate the problem - my question has
            more to do with why the jump the TX frequency happens at all...

            Looking closer, using a serial port monitor, I see Skimmer sending
            FA, FB and IF commands to the K3. The only thing that changes when I
            transmit (in split mode), is the 't' bit in the IF response (which
            shows that the rig is TXing). The FA and FB response do not change.

            In RX:

            FA;
            FA00010115000;
            FB;
            FB00010117700;
            IF;
            IF00010115000 -000000 0003001001;

            In TX:

            FA;
            FA00010115000;
            FB;
            FB00010117700;
            IF;
            IF00010115000 -000000 0013001001;

            So, the question is, why does Skimmer jump to the VFO B frequency when
            it sees that the K3 is TXing, and can that be suppressed somehow?

            ~Iain / N6ML

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
              Hi Iain,

              To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
              enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines to
              the OmniRig.ini file:

              [Debug]
              Log=1

              With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log file
              upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
              OmniRig interprets these data.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                Hi Jim,

                This could be achieved by creating a new ini file for your radio, with the
                VfoA and VfoB commands swapped. You would then switch between VFO A and VFO
                B by selecting either the standard or modified ini file. Such files already
                exist for some radios and can be easily created for others. See also my
                reply to Dave's AA6YQ posting.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                  HI Alex,

                  In the log, I see this when I go into TX:

                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 reply received:
                  4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303133303031303231203B
                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmTx enabled
                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoBA enabled
                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
                  22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent

                  and on return to RX:

                  22:57:05.726 RIG1 reply received:
                  4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303033303031303231203B
                  22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmRx enabled
                  22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoAB enabled
                  22:57:05.727 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                  22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
                  22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent

                  I'm not sure what exactly "pmVfoAB" signifies, but seems to always be
                  "enabled", so it still seems to be the TX status that causes Skimmer to jump
                  the the VFO B frequency... ?

                  ~Iain / N6ML

                  On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Alex, VE3NEA <alshovk@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Iain,
                  >
                  > To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
                  > enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines
                  > the OmniRig.ini file:
                  >
                  > [Debug]
                  > Log=1
                  >
                  > With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log file
                  >
                  > upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
                  > OmniRig interprets these data.

                • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                    Oops .. I didn't read closely enough .. the first one is pmVfoBA!!
                    Interesting...

                    Poking around in the "Elecraft K3.ini" now... maybe I can fudge something
                    in here...

                    ~Iain / N6ML

                    On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@...>wrote:

                    > HI Alex,
                    >
                    > In the log, I see this when I go into TX:
                    >
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 reply received:
                    > 4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303133303031303231203B
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmTx enabled
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoBA enabled
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
                    > 22:57:03.098 RIG1 data sent
                    >
                    > and on return to RX:
                    >
                    > 22:57:05.726 RIG1 reply received:
                    > 4946303030313031313530303020202020202D3030303030302030303033303031303231203B
                    > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmRx enabled
                    > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 status changed: pmVfoAB enabled
                    > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 sending status command: 46413B
                    > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
                    > 22:57:05.727 RIG1 data sent
                    >

                    > I'm not sure what exactly "pmVfoAB" signifies, but seems to always be
                    > "enabled", so it still seems to be the TX status that causes Skimmer to jump
                    > the the VFO B frequency... ?
                    >
                    > ~Iain / N6ML
                    >

                    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Alex, VE3NEA <alshovk@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> Hi Iain,
                    >>
                    >> To find out what is going on between the radio and CW Skimmer, you can
                    >> enable logging in OmniRig. To do so, stop OmniRig add the following lines
                    >> the OmniRig.ini file:
                    >>
                    >> [Debug]
                    >> Log=1
                    >>
                    >> With these commands in the ini file, OmniRig generates the OmniRig.log
                    >> file
                    >> upon exit. The log shows not only the data coming in and out, but also how
                    >>
                    >> OmniRig interprets these data.
                    >>
                    >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

                  • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                      Incase anyone's interested; in my "Elecraft K3.ini", I changed:

                      Flag17=(............................0.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                      Flag18=(............................0.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                      Flag19=(............................1.0.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                      Flag20=(............................1.1.1.....)|pmVfoAB

                      to:

                      Flag17=(............................0.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                      Flag18=(............................0.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA
                      Flag19=(............................1.0.1.....)|pmVfoAB
                      Flag20=(............................1.1.1.....)|pmVfoBA

                      I'm not sure what that logic was for switching to "receive on VFO B,
                      transmit on VFO A" when transmitting (Flag19) and back on receive (Flag17)
                      when in split mode, but I doesn't make sense to me. The change seems to do
                      what I want, with no adverse side-effects so-far.

                      Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, Alex!

                      As a side-note, there are two "Flag21"s in my K3 file - looks like a bug?

                      ~Iain / N6ML

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
                        Hi Iain,

                        The pmVfoAB flag indicates that the currently used VFO is VfoA, and a switch
                        between TX and RX would switch the radio to VfoB. It looks like most of the
                        commands in the Elecraft ini file were copied from the Kenwood file.
                        However, while the Kenwood radios send the transmit frequency in the IF
                        response when transmitting, the excerpts from the log you have posted
                        indicate that K3 always sends the receive frequency, regardless of the tx/rx
                        state. Your fix seems address this difference.

                        You are right, the second Flag21 must be renamed to Flag22.

                        Thank you for your corrections! Please send me the corrected ini file, I
                        will upload it to the OmniRig web page (when I return from the trip to VE7).