Re: [dxatlas] Calibrating CWSkimmer Server

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      Hi Mack - Calibration is not carried over from SDRMAXII, because the
      correction factor is supplied by the software and loaded each time it
      runs, rather than stored in the receiver.

      If you look in the SkimSrv folder you'll find a file titled
      SkimSrv.ini. Its last line will look like this:
      FreqCalibration=1. Now take the frequency calibration number from the
      QS1R and divide it into 125000000 (the nominal frequency of the clock in
      the QS1R. The resulting number can be substituted for the "1" to
      correct your Skimmer Server.

      However ..... I discovered that when I used that number, the resulting
      beat note on my main station radio was way down off the suppressed
      carrier side of my filter. I think this is because my Mark 5 displays a
      frequency that is offset from the suppressed carrier by the setting of
      the CW pitch control. So I waited till a good busy weekend and tweaked
      the SkimSrv calibration number until stations that I spotted and jumped
      to (using the bandmap of N1MM Logger) were all coming in at a
      comfortable beat note on my station receiver.

      Then I went to VE7CC's experimental multi-skimmer Telnet server
      (ve7cc.net 7333) and watched the frequency calibration of my spots as
      compared with others spotting the same station. Since standard telnet
      spots are rounded to the nearest 100 Hz, I was satisfied to see that in
      general my spots were coming in on the "same" frequency others were
      seeing for the same station.

      One of the neatest things about Skimmer Server spots is that (unlike
      packet spots) they all come in at roughly the same beat note. That
      makes it feasible to move up and down the band really fast in Search and
      Pounce mode, because you pretty much know that the station you hear is
      the one that was spotted there.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
      The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

      On 3/15/2010 4:01 AM, Mack WB4MAK wrote:
      > I've followed the instructions here and in the FAQ for calibrating using WWV and the SDRMax software. All appears ok after calibration but CWSkimmer Server is still about 200 Hz high. Are the calibration settings from SDRMax carried over to CWSkimmer? If not, please advise how to calibrate the frequency on CWSkimmer Server.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Mack de WB4MAK

    • Wes Cosand
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
        Mack:

        I calibrated mine by tuning my HF rig to the frequencies reported by
        Skimmer's spots and using any of a number of software program that reports
        the audio frequency. I used CWGet

        First I tuned to WWV and measured the audio frequency in both upper sideband
        CW and lower CW. I averaged them to try to figure out if my HF rig's VFO
        was reasonably accurate. It was.

        Then I set my rig to UCW and began to measure the audio frequencies of
        stations spotted by SkimServer. I would average a number of them and
        compare them to the audio freq of WWV to determine how far off my
        calibration was.

        An approximation: at 18 mhz, for every 2 hz you wish to raise the CW audio
        tone of the spotted station, increase the calibration number by 0.0000001.

        My last line in the SkimServer.ini file is:
        FreqCalibration=1.0000085

        Fallibly,

        Wes, WZ7I

      • K4IA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
          View>Settings>Radio in Skimmer

          Look for the box to fill in "Audio IF,Hz" Fiddle with it and you should
          be able to get Skimmer right on frequency.

          I have trouble in that the setting seems to change every time I start
          Skimmer and I don;t know why. Anyone else care to chime in?

          Buck
          k4ia

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
            Hi Mack,

            CW Skimmer knows nothing about SDRMAX, you must calibrate CW Skimmer as
            described in its Help file. Skimmer Server has its own calibration
            procedure, see its Readme file for details.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
              Thank you everyone for the excellent responses. I've followed your instructions. I mistakenly thought that SDRMax wrote a file to the QSR1 for calibration. I understand now and have applied a correction factor to CWServer.ini.

              Pete: I should be able to give you logs after a contest now if you need them from North of Atlanta GA.

              Very 73,

              Mack de WB4MAK
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
                Hi Mack - the more the merrier so far as spot reporting goes. Please go
                to http://reversebeacon.net for info and to download the small program,
                called "the aggregator" that transfers your spots to the RBN in real
                time as you make them. That way neither you nor I need go to any extra
                trouble to make them available. The RBN also publishes your external IP
                address is you are using the latest aggregator, so your spots will
                probably turn up on VE7CC's excellent Telnet site that provides RBN
                spots in that format.

                73, Pete N4ZR

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com