Calibrating CWSkimmer Server

  • Mack WB4MAK
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      I've followed the instructions here and in the FAQ for calibrating using WWV and the SDRMax software. All appears ok after calibration but CWSkimmer Server is still about 200 Hz high. Are the calibration settings from SDRMax carried over to CWSkimmer? If not, please advise how to calibrate the frequency on CWSkimmer Server.

      73,

      Mack de WB4MAK
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
        Hi Mack - Calibration is not carried over from SDRMAXII, because the
        correction factor is supplied by the software and loaded each time it
        runs, rather than stored in the receiver.

        If you look in the SkimSrv folder you'll find a file titled
        SkimSrv.ini. Its last line will look like this:
        FreqCalibration=1. Now take the frequency calibration number from the
        QS1R and divide it into 125000000 (the nominal frequency of the clock in
        the QS1R. The resulting number can be substituted for the "1" to
        correct your Skimmer Server.

        However ..... I discovered that when I used that number, the resulting
        beat note on my main station radio was way down off the suppressed
        carrier side of my filter. I think this is because my Mark 5 displays a
        frequency that is offset from the suppressed carrier by the setting of
        the CW pitch control. So I waited till a good busy weekend and tweaked
        the SkimSrv calibration number until stations that I spotted and jumped
        to (using the bandmap of N1MM Logger) were all coming in at a
        comfortable beat note on my station receiver.

        Then I went to VE7CC's experimental multi-skimmer Telnet server
        (ve7cc.net 7333) and watched the frequency calibration of my spots as
        compared with others spotting the same station. Since standard telnet
        spots are rounded to the nearest 100 Hz, I was satisfied to see that in
        general my spots were coming in on the "same" frequency others were
        seeing for the same station.

        One of the neatest things about Skimmer Server spots is that (unlike
        packet spots) they all come in at roughly the same beat note. That
        makes it feasible to move up and down the band really fast in Search and
        Pounce mode, because you pretty much know that the station you hear is
        the one that was spotted there.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
        The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

        On 3/15/2010 4:01 AM, Mack WB4MAK wrote:
        > I've followed the instructions here and in the FAQ for calibrating using WWV and the SDRMax software. All appears ok after calibration but CWSkimmer Server is still about 200 Hz high. Are the calibration settings from SDRMax carried over to CWSkimmer? If not, please advise how to calibrate the frequency on CWSkimmer Server.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Mack de WB4MAK

      • Wes Cosand
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
          Mack:

          I calibrated mine by tuning my HF rig to the frequencies reported by
          Skimmer's spots and using any of a number of software program that reports
          the audio frequency. I used CWGet

          First I tuned to WWV and measured the audio frequency in both upper sideband
          CW and lower CW. I averaged them to try to figure out if my HF rig's VFO
          was reasonably accurate. It was.

          Then I set my rig to UCW and began to measure the audio frequencies of
          stations spotted by SkimServer. I would average a number of them and
          compare them to the audio freq of WWV to determine how far off my
          calibration was.

          An approximation: at 18 mhz, for every 2 hz you wish to raise the CW audio
          tone of the spotted station, increase the calibration number by 0.0000001.

          My last line in the SkimServer.ini file is:
          FreqCalibration=1.0000085

          Fallibly,

          Wes, WZ7I

        • K4IA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
            View>Settings>Radio in Skimmer

            Look for the box to fill in "Audio IF,Hz" Fiddle with it and you should
            be able to get Skimmer right on frequency.

            I have trouble in that the setting seems to change every time I start
            Skimmer and I don;t know why. Anyone else care to chime in?

            Buck
            k4ia

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
              Hi Mack,

              CW Skimmer knows nothing about SDRMAX, you must calibrate CW Skimmer as
              described in its Help file. Skimmer Server has its own calibration
              procedure, see its Readme file for details.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
                Thank you everyone for the excellent responses. I've followed your instructions. I mistakenly thought that SDRMax wrote a file to the QSR1 for calibration. I understand now and have applied a correction factor to CWServer.ini.

                Pete: I should be able to give you logs after a contest now if you need them from North of Atlanta GA.

                Very 73,

                Mack de WB4MAK
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
                  Hi Mack - the more the merrier so far as spot reporting goes. Please go
                  to http://reversebeacon.net for info and to download the small program,
                  called "the aggregator" that transfers your spots to the RBN in real
                  time as you make them. That way neither you nor I need go to any extra
                  trouble to make them available. The RBN also publishes your external IP
                  address is you are using the latest aggregator, so your spots will
                  probably turn up on VE7CC's excellent Telnet site that provides RBN
                  spots in that format.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                  The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com