Re:faros - very long delay time?

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2010
      Hi...

      When you did a re-install, did you clean out (after backing up) all the
      old data?

      Only ask, as what you see in the delay statistics, may be from the prior
      install, if you just installed over the old one.

      It's always worth clearing that data in the app, then letting the system
      gather new data for a day or so, before deciding what's going on. You
      may find a new peak in the data up in the 100's of mS as a result.

      If so....

      Check your NTP time source(s). It's not unknown for ISP's to do silly
      things, like decide to take a NTP server off the public access list, or
      to move the service to another system that varies so much as to make it
      useless for apps'a like Faros.

      Faros is also "a little unkind" to NTP servers too I've been told, due
      to the poll rate it uses, from prolonged discussions on a NTP newsgroup
      with people who are "in the know" re these things.
      (comp.protocols.time.ntp)

      I've ended up (for several reasons) creating my own local (on my LAN)
      NTP server, locked to GPS time, just like the beacons themselves. Not
      a trivial task as it turned out, but I started doing that based on this
      page. http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html

      There's a lot to read, and even then, it's not exactly a "how to" as to
      do it. But I can help there if needed. It does work, and works very
      well indeed, even running on Windows! More than good enough for Faros.

      Even without the GPS locking, a local NTP server on your LAN (even
      running in the background on an existing box) will service Faros just
      fine, and only sync periodicaly with external NTP sources, if you still
      have a good one or three to use.

      However... If your ISP or WAN provider is messing about, and the ping
      times to the servers vary significantly throught the day (as mine were
      doing) then you *need* the local GPS locked type of NTP source.

      Most ISP's sadly will be happy if their NTP servers are within 1S of
      each other, let alone within mS (or better) of UTC ticks. Contact them
      to complain about jitter and huge offsets, and if you find someone who
      doesnt think you're talking about FTP, they still wont have a clue what
      you're on about.

      Hope you find out what and why, and it's not NTP issues. Resolvable if
      that is the case, but it's a bit of a chore. Help available if needed.

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX.
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 11, 2010
        Jerry, an interesting article I just noticed that might pertain to this
        issue. A project worth following, I think. If NASA is concerned why not
        FAROS!?

        http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/11mar_figureaxis.htm

        Bruce