Re: [dxatlas] Can't Run Ham Cap or BandMaster after upgrading to Win7 64-bit

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
      I am running the same OS and when I just attempted to load "Bandmaster",
      I got a similar message but it was relating to "Omni Rig".
      Interestingly, after about 30 seconds or so, Bandmaster appeared and
      provided an update from the spotter list. Not sure why nor do I have a
      fix for the issue. I had recently downloaded a copy of 'ITS HF' which I
      believe to be the latest. That site is bit confusing to me. As I type I
      just received the second update on 'Bandmaster'. You might make sure you
      have the most recent copy of 'ITS HS' and see if that helps. In spite of
      the error message it seems to be functioning on this Windows 7 X64 system.

      Bruce, K2BET
      ---------------------

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
        Did have a problem bringing up DX Atlas within Bandmaster. It first gave
        an error message then told me it required DX Atlas 2.2 or higher. I have
        version 2.5 installed. Not sure what that is about. Obviously,
        Bandmaster is not fully working with the current set up.

        bet
        ----------------

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
          Hi Bruce,

          None of my programs are officially supported on Vista or Windows 7. If you
          have Windows XP or can install it, use this OS instead. If you absolutely
          need to run Band Master on Windows 7, you can try the following.

          Uninstall Band Master and OmniRig via Add/Remove Programs, then install them
          again, but be sure to run the installer with Administrator privileges. To do
          so, log in as Administrator, then right-click on Setup.exe and click on Run
          as Administrator in the popup menu. Note that a simple double-click on
          Setup.exe will start it with standard privileges even if you are logged in
          as Administrator.

          >I am running the same OS and when I just attempted to load "Bandmaster",
          > I got a similar message but it was relating to "Omni Rig".
          > Interestingly, after about 30 seconds or so, Bandmaster appeared and
          > provided an update from the spotter list. Not sure why nor do I have a
          > fix for the issue. I had recently downloaded a copy of 'ITS HF' which I
          > believe to be the latest. That site is bit confusing to me. As I type I
          > just received the second update on 'Bandmaster'. You might make sure you
          > have the most recent copy of 'ITS HS' and see if that helps. In spite of
          > the error message it seems to be functioning on this Windows 7 X64 system.
          >
          > Bruce, K2BET
          > ---------------------
          >
          > On 3/7/2010 9:41 PM, Jim wrote:
          >>
          >> DX Atlas and IonoProbe installed OK, but Ham Cap and Band Master will
          >> not run on my Win7 64-bit machine. I get the following error message:
          >> "Exception EOleSysError in module HamCap.exe. Error accessing the Ole
          >> register."
          >>
          >> Anyone got a fix for this?

        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
            Read the install instruction for the VapCap software.

            I had a similar problem and then I installed the exact version of the VapCap
            software referred to by the HamCap instruction and everything started
            working.

            John

            KW7S

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
              You could also go into the properties for the program and set it to run
              under Windows XP SP3 compatibility setting. I have found a few programs that
              needed this to run.

              Another thing is not avoid installing programs in the default locations,
              install them in a separate directory, for example in (c:\Bandmaster) as that
              will avoid the issues associated with virtual file protection in the program
              directory folders.
              73

              Neal Campbell
              Abroham Neal Software
              www.abrohamnealsoftware.com
              (540) 645 5394 NEW PHONE NUMBER

              Amateur Radio: K3NC
              Blog: http://www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/blog/
              DXBase bug reports: email to cases@...
              Abroham Neal forums: http:/www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/community/

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
                Thanks, Alex, for the tip. I will give your suggestions a try on my
                Windows 7 machine tomorrow. Actually, I have just upgraded my system to
                be able to have a faster one for SDR. I was also running in to a
                video/streaming audio problem with my XP system. I think a new video
                card may help that which I intend to check out tomorrow. I can use
                either OS at this point but will work towards making my Windows 7 system
                the primary one for the future.

                I continue to be very pleased with and a frequent user of your software.
                Thanks very much for offering all of them to the amateur community.

                Bruce, K2BET
                ----------------------

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                  Wouldn't it also work simply to install the program somewhere other than
                  the Program Files directory, in order to avoid the intervention of
                  Windows 7's UAC (Unauthorized Access Control)? Many N1MM Logger users
                  are doing this with Vista or Windows 7, simply to avoid Microsoft's
                  well-intended meddling.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
                  The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com

                  On 3/8/2010 12:56 AM, Bruce Tanner wrote:
                  > Thanks, Alex, for the tip. I will give your suggestions a try on my
                  > Windows 7 machine tomorrow. Actually, I have just upgraded my system to
                  > be able to have a faster one for SDR. I was also running in to a
                  > video/streaming audio problem with my XP system. I think a new video
                  > card may help that which I intend to check out tomorrow. I can use
                  > either OS at this point but will work towards making my Windows 7 system
                  > the primary one for the future.
                  >
                  > I continue to be very pleased with and a frequent user of your software.
                  > Thanks very much for offering all of them to the amateur community.
                  >
                  > Bruce, K2BET
                  > ----------------------
                  >
                  > On 3/7/2010 10:47 PM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi Bruce,
                  >>
                  >> None of my programs are officially supported on Vista or Windows 7. If
                  >> you
                  >> have Windows XP or can install it, use this OS instead. If you absolutely
                  >> need to run Band Master on Windows 7, you can try the following.
                  >>
                  >> Uninstall Band Master and OmniRig via Add/Remove Programs, then
                  >> install them
                  >> again, but be sure to run the installer with Administrator privileges.
                  >> To do
                  >> so, log in as Administrator, then right-click on Setup.exe and click
                  >> on Run
                  >> as Administrator in the popup menu. Note that a simple double-click on
                  >> Setup.exe will start it with standard privileges even if you are
                  >> logged in
                  >> as Administrator.
                  >>
                  >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                    Yea! I re-installed Band Master and Ham Cap by using the "Run as
                    Administrator" on the Setup programs and now both are working!
                    I got away with ignoring instructions for years, but it finally caught
                    up with me. [:)]

                    73,
                    Jim - N4ST

                    > Hi Bruce,
                    >
                    > None of my programs are officially supported on Vista or Windows 7. If
                    you
                    > have Windows XP or can install it, use this OS instead. If you
                    absolutely
                    > need to run Band Master on Windows 7, you can try the following.
                    >
                    > Uninstall Band Master and OmniRig via Add/Remove Programs, then
                    install them
                    > again, but be sure to run the installer with Administrator privileges.
                    To do
                    > so, log in as Administrator, then right-click on Setup.exe and click
                    on Run
                    > as Administrator in the popup menu. Note that a simple double-click on
                    > Setup.exe will start it with standard privileges even if you are
                    logged in
                    > as Administrator.
                    >
                    > 73 Alex VE3NEA

                    <SNIP>