RE: [dxatlas] Upgrade to v2.25

  • Bob Lafont
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2005
      Alex,

      I am trying to find out how to upgrade my version of DX Atlas from v1.5 to
      2.25.

      I followed the instructions on the DX Atlas web site and sent an email with
      my registration info but haven't heard anything back.

      Can you help me find out what I need to do to upgrade?

      Thanks

      73-Bob
      WA2MNO

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
        I think the thing that is confusing Bill (and me, for that matter) is the
        large divergence between the various sunspot numbers available to plug into
        Ham Cap. For example, for April 2005:

        Ham Cap's built-in number (old NOAA predicted): 30
        Current NOAA predicted smoothed SSN: 28.5 (pretty close)
        IonoProbe's computed 90-day smoothed SSN: 47 (!)

        The difference in the outcome is meaningful -- for example, with the SSN at
        30, for my short path to 3B8, 15 M opens only briefly, although there is a
        long period when the MUF is predicted to be right below 15. With the SSN
        set at 47, 15M is predicted to be open for essentially the same fairly long
        period, and a second night-time 20M opening is also predicted.

        Like Alex, I think I prefer IonoProbe's number, not because of the outcome
        but because it seems to reflect what is more currently happening than a
        projection from 6 months ago. On the other hand, I understand that VOACAP
        is really built around the 13-month number, so during a period when the
        90-day number diverges substantially upward from the 13-month average, the
        predictions may be unduly rosy.

        While we're on the subject, a question I have wondered about -- why do Ham
        Cap's charts not have a graduated hour scale on the X axis? Have I missed
        an option to turn them on?

        73, Pete N4ZR

      • bill_w4zv
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
          > I think the thing that is confusing Bill (and me, for that matter)
          is the
          > large divergence between the various sunspot numbers available to
          plug into
          > Ham Cap. For example, for April 2005:
          >
          > Ham Cap's built-in number (old NOAA predicted): 30
          > Current NOAA predicted smoothed SSN: 28.5 (pretty close)
          > IonoProbe's computed 90-day smoothed SSN: 47 (!)

          Yet the average montthly sunspots for the past 3 months are:

          2005 01 31.3
          2005 02 29.1
          2005 03 24.8

          Average = 28.4, which is very close to the built-in 30 and current
          NOAA predicted 28.5.

          ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/MONTHLY.PLT

          How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
          different by nearly a factor of two!

          73, Bill
        • bill_w4zv
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
            I wrote:

            > How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
            > different by nearly a factor of two!

            Could IonoProbe's calculation be off by one year? I notice 47 is very
            close to the SSN numbers for this time last year:

            2004 52.0 49.3 47.1 45.6 43.9 41.7 40.2 39.2 37.5

            ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/SMOOTHED

            And the average of 49.3, 47.1, and 45.6 is 47.3. Maybe the logic of
            the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.

            73, Bill (...using 29 for now)
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
              Bill, aren't those numbers predicted from 6 months ago? I looked at the
              graphed SSNs for the last three months from IonoProbe and they seem much
              more consistent with the 47 average.

              73, Pete

              At 08:29 AM 4/9/2005, bill_w4zv wrote:

              >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
              > > I think the thing that is confusing Bill (and me, for that matter)
              >is the
              > > large divergence between the various sunspot numbers available to
              >plug into
              > > Ham Cap. For example, for April 2005:
              > >
              > > Ham Cap's built-in number (old NOAA predicted): 30
              > > Current NOAA predicted smoothed SSN: 28.5 (pretty close)
              > > IonoProbe's computed 90-day smoothed SSN: 47 (!)
              >
              >Yet the average montthly sunspots for the past 3 months are:
              >
              >2005 01 31.3
              >2005 02 29.1
              >2005 03 24.8
              >
              >Average = 28.4, which is very close to the built-in 30 and current
              >NOAA predicted 28.5.
              >
              >ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/MONTHLY.PLT
              >
              >How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
              >different by nearly a factor of two!
              >
              >73, Bill
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bill_w4zv
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                I wrote:

                > Maybe the logic of
                > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.

                Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                28.4 using this data:

                ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

                I don't have IonoProbe, but it must have a problem if the 47 number
                Pete quoted for the IonoProbe calculation is correct. Anyhow, now I
                know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
                which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.

                73, Bill
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                  > Yet the average montthly sunspots for the past 3 months are:
                  > 2005 01 31.3
                  > 2005 02 29.1
                  > 2005 03 24.8
                  > Average = 28.4, which is very close to the built-in 30 and current
                  > NOAA predicted 28.5.
                  > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/MONTHLY.PLT
                  > How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
                  > different by nearly a factor of two!

                  I am not sure how monthly values presented on that page are calculated.
                  IonoProbe just averages the last 90 daily values from
                  http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/DSD.txt and
                  http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/indices/old_indices/

                  > Could IonoProbe's calculation be off by one year? I notice 47 is very
                  > close to the SSN numbers for this time last year:
                  > 2004 52.0 49.3 47.1 45.6 43.9 41.7 40.2 39.2 37.5
                  > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/SMOOTHED
                  > And the average of 49.3, 47.1, and 45.6 is 47.3. Maybe the logic of
                  > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.

                  IonoProbe does not have access to the data from the last year.

                  > Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                  > 28.4 using this data:
                  > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

                  These are the RI indices, not daily SSN values.

                  > Anyhow, now I
                  > know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
                  > which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.

                  You may want to enter the latest NOAA forecasts in the SSN.dat file using
                  Notepad, then HamCap will use these data automatically.

                  73 Alex VE3NEA
                • Bob Lafont
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                    Has anyone upgraded DX Atlas from 1.x to 2.x ?

                    And if you have how did you go about getting the upgrade?

                    73-Bob
                    WA2MNO

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                      > While we're on the subject, a question I have wondered about -- why do Ham
                      > Cap's charts not have a graduated hour scale on the X axis? Have I missed
                      > an option to turn them on?

                      HamCap is an interactive application. When you move the mouse cursor over
                      the chart, the time and all other parameters of the point under the cursor
                      are displayed on the status bar.

                      I tried to make the HamCap window as small as possible so that it could be
                      used during contesting and DXing when screen space is a valuable resource,
                      so I removed all unnecessary elements form the user interface, including the
                      time scale on the chart.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                        A while ago I did some comparisons of median SNR predictions from VOACAP to
                        the observations of NCSXF beacons. Ingemar SM5AJV developed a program that
                        measures the SNR of beacon signals using a sound card and an FFT
                        transformation. A correlator is used to compare the received waveform to
                        that of the beacon's callsign, to make sure that the signal actually comes
                        from the beacon. Ingemar was kind enough to send me his logs for June 2004,
                        these logs cover about 24% of the month.

                        I developed a viewer utility for the logs that converts the observed SNR
                        values
                        into dB-Hz, calculates medians, and plots both predicted and observed median
                        values along with the observation points for the selected beacon and band.
                        The program lacks a sophisticated user interface, which I may develop in the
                        future if there is sufficient interest. A few screenshots of typical plots
                        are here: http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/SnrPlot.zip .

                        For those who want to play with the viewer, I uploaded it to
                        http://www.dxatlas.com/Private/VoaAnal.zip .
                        The zip file also includes the observation data, with permission
                        from Ingemar. Please preserve the directory structure when unzipping.

                        Though this is just the first alpha version of the program and thus it may
                        contain errors, the plots it produces are very interesting. The shape of the
                        VOACAP prediction chart is very close to that of the observation chart,
                        though the absolute values are way off. On average, VOACAP underestimates
                        the SNR by 20+ dB.

                        Also, these charts explain why the median SNR is a bad indicator of
                        propagation conditions. The median value makes sense only for unimodal
                        distributions, while the distribution of SNR is bi-modal at best (that is,
                        has two or more peaks). One peak is formed by the observations that where
                        performed when the path was open with a good propagation mode, and one or
                        more peaks come from the days when only very lossy modes were available or
                        the path was closed.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                          OK - thanks! Makes sense.

                          73, Pete

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                            [With apologies to readers of the VOACAP list, who are joining this in
                            mid-thread, I feel that Bill and I are floundering fairly far out of our
                            depth in this discussion that began on the dxatlas list. The question
                            began as what SSN to use in Ham Cap, a simplified front end for
                            VOACAP. HamCAP comes with a table of predicted international SSNs, but can
                            also link with IonoProbe, which downloads daily SSNs from the SEC. VE3NEA,
                            the author of Ham Cap, prefers the SEC numbers, but the variance from the
                            international SSns is considerable, with the SEC number typically running
                            much higher. Any advice appreciated!]

                            Bill, there's some apples and oranges, or something going on
                            here. IonoProbe gets its numbers from the Joint USAF/NOAA Solar and
                            Geophysical Activity Summary. Here's a sample:

                            "SGAS Number 099 Issued at 0245Z on 09 Apr 2005
                            This report is compiled from data received at SWO on 08 Apr
                            A. Energetic Events
                            Begin Max End Rgn Loc Xray Op 245MHz 10cm Sweep
                            None
                            B. Proton Events: None
                            C. Geomagnetic Activity Summary: The geomagnetic field was quiet.
                            D. Stratwarm: Not Available
                            E. Daily Indices: (real-time preliminary/estimated values)
                            10 cm 088 SSN 056 Afr/Ap 005/004 ...."

                            Ionoprobe's retrospective record of these reports shows March 12 (chosen
                            randomly) with a SSN of 67, versus 42 on the table you cite. March 18 is
                            37 versus 25, and so on.

                            I have no idea what the explanation is, though I do note that there is
                            another table, ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/2005
                            , which gives the numbers just for this year to date and states that
                            "Values are preliminary after Dec 2004."

                            There is an interesting explanation of how various sunspot numbers are
                            calculated in
                            ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict. It
                            seems clear from this explanation that the international sunspot number is
                            a highly-massaged, worldwide average number that does not become final for
                            some months after the date of observation. By contrast, the number cited
                            in the SGAS is the SEC's every-six-hour figure, and must be based strictly
                            on its own observations. An interesting graph at
                            http://www.nwra-az.com/spawx/comp.html speaks to this. To quote from the
                            caption:

                            " This plot illustrates the differences between the "real" sunspot number
                            (SSN), which is calculated from optical observations of the sun, a sunspot
                            number derived from the 10.7cm solar radio flux (SSNf), and a sunspot
                            number derived from fitting an ionospheric model to ionospheric
                            measurements. All of these indices are used as inputs to models of the
                            ionosphere for use in communications-performance predictions - this plot
                            shows that they don't always agree as to what the SSN should be in that
                            particular context.

                            Note: The F10.7-derived SSN (SSNf) is calculated from the 10.7cm solar
                            radio flux (the Penticton Radio Observatory noon value) using the following
                            relationship:

                            F10.7 = 63.74 + 0.727*SSNf + 0.000895*SSNf**2

                            So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is wondering why
                            we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices, or
                            at least the SSNf, which would be closer to the values Bill cited than to
                            the current high value of optically-observed SSN. On the other hand, Alex
                            argues that results from using the lower SSNs seem to run consistently low
                            in terms of predicted vs. observed S/R ratio.

                            It would be interesting to pass this discussion over to the VOACAP list and
                            see what the gurus there, particularly including Greg Hand and George Lane,
                            think of it. In fact, I have done that, and it will be interesting to see
                            what comes of it.

                            73, Pete N4ZR

                            At 09:12 AM 4/9/2005, bill_w4zv wrote:

                            >I wrote:
                            >
                            > > Maybe the logic of
                            > > the calculation has an error somewhere in its data collection.
                            >
                            >Definitely so. The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                            >28.4 using this data:
                            >
                            >ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT
                            >
                            >I don't have IonoProbe, but it must have a problem if the 47 number
                            >Pete quoted for the IonoProbe calculation is correct. Anyhow, now I
                            >know what to use and will probably just go with the NOAA forecast
                            >which seems to be fairly accurate at this stage of the cycle.
                            >
                            >73, Bill
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • bill_w4zv
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:

                              > So, where does this leave us? Where it left me, frankly, is
                              wondering why
                              > we use sunspot numbers at all, rather than solar flux and A/K indices,

                              I agree. Seems like measured solar flux, which supposedly shows the
                              actual effect of sunspots on the ionosphere, would be better. After
                              all, when there is a large CME, we often can see little effect on the
                              ionosphere depending on how it's directed toward Earth, which way Bz
                              points, etc. Of course if VOACAP was originally based on SSN's, then
                              maybe they should be the input. Hopefully Greg Hand will respond, and
                              please post anything of interest here since I am not on that list. No
                              model is any better than its input..."Garbage In Garbage Out" as
                              someone said.

                              73, Bill
                            • bill_w4zv
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                                I wrote: The current 90 day average (1 Jan 05 - 31 Mar 05) is
                                28.4 using this data:
                                ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/RIDAILY.PLT

                                VE3NEA wrote: These are the RI indices, not daily SSN values.

                                Alex, the NOAA site below calls these "Provisional International
                                Sunspot Numbers, so what do you mean they are not daily SSN numbers?
                                See especially their comments preceded by ***** below:
                                ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict

                                >The provisional daily Zurich relative sunspot numbers, Rz, were based
                                upon
                                observations made at Zurich and its two branch stations in Arosa and
                                Locarno
                                and communicated by M. Waldmeier of the Swiss Federal Observatory.
                                Beginning
                                January 1, 1981, the Zurich relative sunspot number program is
                                replaced by
                                the "Sunspot Index Data Center" (c/o Dr. P. Cugnon, 3 av. Circulaire,
                                B-1180
                                Bruxelles, Belgium).

                                ***** The determination of the provisional International Sunspot
                                Numbers Ri results from a statistical treatment of the data
                                originating from more than twenty-five observing stations. These
                                stations constitute an international network, with the Locarno
                                (Switzerland) station as the reference station, to guarantee
                                continuity with the past Zurich series of Rz.*****

                                >The definitive International Sunspot Numbers Ri are evaluated by a
                                similar method based on a network of observing stations selected for
                                their
                                high number of observations, their continuity during the whole year
                                and an
                                existing series of observations during the last years. Also taken into
                                account is the stability of the K monthly factors with reference to the
                                Locarno station.

                                *****These relative sunspot numbers are now designated Ri
                                (International) instead of Rz (Zurich).*****

                                It seems to me Ri is exactly what should be used, but am really
                                waiting to see what Greg Hand, etc. of VOACAP have to say.

                                73, Bill