Re: [dxatlas] faros - very long delay time?

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
      Strange! My PC clock is correct, as is my time zone. I am about to
      send this at 3:35 according to the PC. I will have to see what is
      going on. Thanks for the tip.

      Jerry W4UK

      At 06:30 PM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
      >Your message below is reporting my earlier response as time stamped at
      >"5:28 PM"! What is that all about?
      >
      >Bruce
      >----------------
      >
      >On 3/5/2010 11:52 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes - that could be the problem ;-)
      > >
      > > Or maybe other factors as well.
      > >
      > > Anybody have any other ideas?
      > >
      > > Jerry W4UK
      > >
      > > At 05:28 PM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
      > > >Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the issue,
      > > >Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake in Chile
      > > >there scientists have been able to record both a very minor change in
      > > >the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up (I think)
      > > >of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros data?
      > > >The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
      > > >
      > > >Ref:
      > > >http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
      > > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
      > > >
      > > >There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
      > > >
      > > >Bruce, K2BET
      > > >-------------------

      > > screen.

    • Jerry Flanders
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
        Looks like my own posts are OK.

        This last post is stamped 6:30 on my screen.

        My wife tells me I am "slow" sometimes - maybe that is the problem.

        Jerry W4UK

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
          Oh, please!!!!! And maybe Venus is going to come out of its orbit and
          collide with the Earth.

          Ted, W2ZK

          On 3/5/2010 5:28 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

          > Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the issue,
          > Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake in Chile
          > there scientists have been able to record both a very minor change in
          > the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up (I think)
          > of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros data?
          > The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
          >
          > Ref:
          > http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
          > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
          >
          > There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
          >
          > Bruce, K2BET
          > -------------------
          >
          > On 3/5/2010 8:02 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
          > >
          > > Faros was running FB until a couple weeks ago, with almost all delays
          > > on the short path line as expected. Now delays appear to be in the
          > > range of 200 - 300 ms and all delay points are at top of details screen.
          > >
          > > I can't find any setting that appears wrong to me. I have uninstalled
          > > and reinstalled Faros - no help.
          > >
          > > Current settings:
          > > Signal delay red vertical line is about 17 ms with a "normal" (no pun
          > > intended) distribution of green lines centering at about 15 ms,
          > > extending from about 0 to about 46 ms.
          > > Delay correction is set to 17 ms.
          > > UTC Clock info std error 0.99 ms, max error 18.6 ms.
          > >
          > > Log file shows even high SNR stations are recording delays of 200 -
          > > 300 ms.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Jerry W4UK

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
            Hi Ted- It really happened. And has happened. No much, but, yes, a bit of a
            change. Made the day longer by milliseconds.
            Faros might not detect it, but other instruments did.

            Dave Mynatt
            /====================================/
            http://sciencecenter.no-ip.org
            SID ID #S-0258
            APRS Tier II Server @ http://pueblo.aprs2.net:14501
            10 meter CW Beacon @ 28.2345 Mhz
            RMS Server: 144.950 Mhz // KA0SWT-10
            Echolink Server Node: 473082 @147.480Mhz Simplex KA0SWT-L
            LAT: (38.15.49) 38.26349"N LON: (104.36.48) -104.613297"W Alt: 1460m
            DM78qg // KA0SWT
            /++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/

            Oh, please!!!!! And maybe Venus is going to come out of its orbit and
            collide with the Earth.

            Ted, W2ZK

            On 3/5/2010 5:28 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

            > Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the
            > issue, Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake
            > in Chile there scientists have been able to record both a very minor
            > change in the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up
            > (I think) of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros
            data?
            > The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
            >
            > Ref:
            > http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar
            > 04
            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010ma
            > r04>
            >
            > There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
            >
            > Bruce, K2BET
            > -------------------
            >
            > On 3/5/2010 8:02 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
            > >
            > > Faros was running FB until a couple weeks ago, with almost all
            > > delays on the short path line as expected. Now delays appear to be
            > > in the range of 200 - 300 ms and all delay points are at top of details
            screen.

            > > I can't find any setting that appears wrong to me. I have
            > > uninstalled and reinstalled Faros - no help.
            > >
            > > Current settings:
            > > Signal delay red vertical line is about 17 ms with a "normal" (no
            > > pun
            > > intended) distribution of green lines centering at about 15 ms,
            > > extending from about 0 to about 46 ms.
            > > Delay correction is set to 17 ms.
            > > UTC Clock info std error 0.99 ms, max error 18.6 ms.
            > >
            > > Log file shows even high SNR stations are recording delays of 200 -
            > > 300 ms.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Jerry W4UK

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
              Check the mail server.

              Dave Mynatt
              /====================================/

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                Well, here is another idea, Jerry! I sent out my message, time stamped
                2:28 PM. Your response to my message is time stamped 11:52 AM. Now how
                did you send me a message even before you received mine?! Is you battery
                good? Is you computer clock set correctly or are these just different
                time zones at work??

                Bruce, K2BET
                --------------------

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                    The time stamp for your message on my computer is reading "3/5/2010
                    12:35 PM" at the time you indicated you are sending it out saying
                    "3:35". The time stamp according to your return message is saying I sent
                    my last at "6: 30" PM when it shows in my 'Sent file' as having been
                    time stamped as "3:30 PM"!

                    Pretty strange...
                    Bruce
                    -----------------

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                      PS: The Earth didn't tilt that much!!

                      :)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                        test message

                        On 3/5/2010 6:41 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

                        > PS: The Earth didn't tilt that much!!
                        >
                        > :)
                        >
                        > On 3/5/2010 3:30 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Your message below is reporting my earlier response as time stamped at
                        > > "5:28 PM"! What is that all about?
                        > >
                        > > Bruce
                        > > ----------------
                        > >
                        > > On 3/5/2010 11:52 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Yes - that could be the problem ;-)
                        > > >
                        > > > Or maybe other factors as well.
                        > > >
                        > > > Anybody have any other ideas?
                        > > >
                        > > > Jerry W4UK

                        > issue,
                        > > Chile
                        > think)
                        > data?

                        > >http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
                        >

                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>>
                        >

                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
                        >

                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                        > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>>>

                        > > delays
                        > > > screen.

                        > > uninstalled

                        > > (no pun

                        > 200 -

                      • Dave Baxter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2010
                          Hi...

                          When you did a re-install, did you clean out (after backing up) all the
                          old data?

                          Only ask, as what you see in the delay statistics, may be from the prior
                          install, if you just installed over the old one.

                          It's always worth clearing that data in the app, then letting the system
                          gather new data for a day or so, before deciding what's going on. You
                          may find a new peak in the data up in the 100's of mS as a result.

                          If so....

                          Check your NTP time source(s). It's not unknown for ISP's to do silly
                          things, like decide to take a NTP server off the public access list, or
                          to move the service to another system that varies so much as to make it
                          useless for apps'a like Faros.

                          Faros is also "a little unkind" to NTP servers too I've been told, due
                          to the poll rate it uses, from prolonged discussions on a NTP newsgroup
                          with people who are "in the know" re these things.
                          (comp.protocols.time.ntp)

                          I've ended up (for several reasons) creating my own local (on my LAN)
                          NTP server, locked to GPS time, just like the beacons themselves. Not
                          a trivial task as it turned out, but I started doing that based on this
                          page. http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html

                          There's a lot to read, and even then, it's not exactly a "how to" as to
                          do it. But I can help there if needed. It does work, and works very
                          well indeed, even running on Windows! More than good enough for Faros.

                          Even without the GPS locking, a local NTP server on your LAN (even
                          running in the background on an existing box) will service Faros just
                          fine, and only sync periodicaly with external NTP sources, if you still
                          have a good one or three to use.

                          However... If your ISP or WAN provider is messing about, and the ping
                          times to the servers vary significantly throught the day (as mine were
                          doing) then you *need* the local GPS locked type of NTP source.

                          Most ISP's sadly will be happy if their NTP servers are within 1S of
                          each other, let alone within mS (or better) of UTC ticks. Contact them
                          to complain about jitter and huge offsets, and if you find someone who
                          doesnt think you're talking about FTP, they still wont have a clue what
                          you're on about.

                          Hope you find out what and why, and it's not NTP issues. Resolvable if
                          that is the case, but it's a bit of a chore. Help available if needed.

                          Regards.

                          Dave G0WBX.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 11, 2010
                            Jerry, an interesting article I just noticed that might pertain to this
                            issue. A project worth following, I think. If NASA is concerned why not
                            FAROS!?

                            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/11mar_figureaxis.htm

                            Bruce