Re: [dxatlas] faros - very long delay time?

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
      Yes - that could be the problem ;-)

      Or maybe other factors as well.

      Anybody have any other ideas?

      Jerry W4UK

      At 05:28 PM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
      >Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the issue,
      >Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake in Chile
      >there scientists have been able to record both a very minor change in
      >the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up (I think)
      >of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros data?
      >The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
      >
      >Ref:
      >http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
      >
      >There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
      >
      >Bruce, K2BET
      >-------------------
      >
      >On 3/5/2010 8:02 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
      > >
      > > Faros was running FB until a couple weeks ago, with almost all delays
      > > on the short path line as expected. Now delays appear to be in the
      > > range of 200 - 300 ms and all delay points are at top of details screen.
      > >
      > > I can't find any setting that appears wrong to me. I have uninstalled
      > > and reinstalled Faros - no help.
      > >
      > > Current settings:
      > > Signal delay red vertical line is about 17 ms with a "normal" (no pun
      > > intended) distribution of green lines centering at about 15 ms,
      > > extending from about 0 to about 46 ms.
      > > Delay correction is set to 17 ms.
      > > UTC Clock info std error 0.99 ms, max error 18.6 ms.
      > >
      > > Log file shows even high SNR stations are recording delays of 200 -
      > > 300 ms.
      > >
      > > Any ideas?
      > >
      > > Jerry W4UK

    • Jerry Flanders
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
        Strange! My PC clock is correct, as is my time zone. I am about to
        send this at 3:35 according to the PC. I will have to see what is
        going on. Thanks for the tip.

        Jerry W4UK

        At 06:30 PM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
        >Your message below is reporting my earlier response as time stamped at
        >"5:28 PM"! What is that all about?
        >
        >Bruce
        >----------------
        >
        >On 3/5/2010 11:52 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
        > >
        > > Yes - that could be the problem ;-)
        > >
        > > Or maybe other factors as well.
        > >
        > > Anybody have any other ideas?
        > >
        > > Jerry W4UK
        > >
        > > At 05:28 PM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
        > > >Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the issue,
        > > >Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake in Chile
        > > >there scientists have been able to record both a very minor change in
        > > >the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up (I think)
        > > >of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros data?
        > > >The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
        > > >
        > > >Ref:
        > > >http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
        > > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
        > > >
        > > >There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
        > > >
        > > >Bruce, K2BET
        > > >-------------------

        > > screen.

      • Jerry Flanders
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
          Looks like my own posts are OK.

          This last post is stamped 6:30 on my screen.

          My wife tells me I am "slow" sometimes - maybe that is the problem.

          Jerry W4UK

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
            Oh, please!!!!! And maybe Venus is going to come out of its orbit and
            collide with the Earth.

            Ted, W2ZK

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
              Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the issue,
              Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake in Chile
              there scientists have been able to record both a very minor change in
              the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up (I think)
              of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros data?
              The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.

              Ref:
              http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04

              There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.

              Bruce, K2BET
              -------------------

              On 3/5/2010 8:02 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:

              > Faros was running FB until a couple weeks ago, with almost all delays
              > on the short path line as expected. Now delays appear to be in the
              > range of 200 - 300 ms and all delay points are at top of details screen.
              >
              > I can't find any setting that appears wrong to me. I have uninstalled
              > and reinstalled Faros - no help.
              >
              > Current settings:
              > Signal delay red vertical line is about 17 ms with a "normal" (no pun
              > intended) distribution of green lines centering at about 15 ms,
              > extending from about 0 to about 46 ms.
              > Delay correction is set to 17 ms.
              > UTC Clock info std error 0.99 ms, max error 18.6 ms.
              >
              > Log file shows even high SNR stations are recording delays of 200 -
              > 300 ms.
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >
              > Jerry W4UK

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                Hi Ted- It really happened. And has happened. No much, but, yes, a bit of a
                change. Made the day longer by milliseconds.
                Faros might not detect it, but other instruments did.

                Dave Mynatt
                /====================================/
                http://sciencecenter.no-ip.org
                SID ID #S-0258
                APRS Tier II Server @ http://pueblo.aprs2.net:14501
                10 meter CW Beacon @ 28.2345 Mhz
                RMS Server: 144.950 Mhz // KA0SWT-10
                Echolink Server Node: 473082 @147.480Mhz Simplex KA0SWT-L
                LAT: (38.15.49) 38.26349"N LON: (104.36.48) -104.613297"W Alt: 1460m
                DM78qg // KA0SWT
                /++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/

                Oh, please!!!!! And maybe Venus is going to come out of its orbit and
                collide with the Earth.

                Ted, W2ZK

                On 3/5/2010 5:28 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

                > Wow! I don't know if this is of any value or significance to the
                > issue, Jerry, but I have heard that an effect of the recent Earthquake
                > in Chile there scientists have been able to record both a very minor
                > change in the tilt of the Earth on her axis and a very slight speed up
                > (I think) of the period of rotation. Could that be showing up in the Faros
                data?
                > The Chilean earthquake was about two weeks ago now, Feb. 27.
                >
                > Ref:
                > http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar
                > 04
                > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010ma
                > r04>
                >
                > There are other reports if you Google 'earthquake rotation axis'.
                >
                > Bruce, K2BET
                > -------------------
                >
                > On 3/5/2010 8:02 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
                > >
                > > Faros was running FB until a couple weeks ago, with almost all
                > > delays on the short path line as expected. Now delays appear to be
                > > in the range of 200 - 300 ms and all delay points are at top of details
                screen.

                > > I can't find any setting that appears wrong to me. I have
                > > uninstalled and reinstalled Faros - no help.
                > >
                > > Current settings:
                > > Signal delay red vertical line is about 17 ms with a "normal" (no
                > > pun
                > > intended) distribution of green lines centering at about 15 ms,
                > > extending from about 0 to about 46 ms.
                > > Delay correction is set to 17 ms.
                > > UTC Clock info std error 0.99 ms, max error 18.6 ms.
                > >
                > > Log file shows even high SNR stations are recording delays of 200 -
                > > 300 ms.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?
                > >
                > > Jerry W4UK

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Check the mail server.

                  Dave Mynatt
                  /====================================/

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                    Well, here is another idea, Jerry! I sent out my message, time stamped
                    2:28 PM. Your response to my message is time stamped 11:52 AM. Now how
                    did you send me a message even before you received mine?! Is you battery
                    good? Is you computer clock set correctly or are these just different
                    time zones at work??

                    Bruce, K2BET
                    --------------------

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                        The time stamp for your message on my computer is reading "3/5/2010
                        12:35 PM" at the time you indicated you are sending it out saying
                        "3:35". The time stamp according to your return message is saying I sent
                        my last at "6: 30" PM when it shows in my 'Sent file' as having been
                        time stamped as "3:30 PM"!

                        Pretty strange...
                        Bruce
                        -----------------

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                          PS: The Earth didn't tilt that much!!

                          :)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 5, 2010
                            test message

                            On 3/5/2010 6:41 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

                            > PS: The Earth didn't tilt that much!!
                            >
                            > :)
                            >
                            > On 3/5/2010 3:30 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Your message below is reporting my earlier response as time stamped at
                            > > "5:28 PM"! What is that all about?
                            > >
                            > > Bruce
                            > > ----------------
                            > >
                            > > On 3/5/2010 11:52 AM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Yes - that could be the problem ;-)
                            > > >
                            > > > Or maybe other factors as well.
                            > > >
                            > > > Anybody have any other ideas?
                            > > >
                            > > > Jerry W4UK

                            > issue,
                            > > Chile
                            > think)
                            > data?

                            > >http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
                            >

                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>>
                            >

                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>
                            >

                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04
                            > <http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03/local/la-me-lost-time4-2010mar04>>>

                            > > delays
                            > > > screen.

                            > > uninstalled

                            > > (no pun

                            > 200 -

                          • Dave Baxter
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 8, 2010
                              Hi...

                              When you did a re-install, did you clean out (after backing up) all the
                              old data?

                              Only ask, as what you see in the delay statistics, may be from the prior
                              install, if you just installed over the old one.

                              It's always worth clearing that data in the app, then letting the system
                              gather new data for a day or so, before deciding what's going on. You
                              may find a new peak in the data up in the 100's of mS as a result.

                              If so....

                              Check your NTP time source(s). It's not unknown for ISP's to do silly
                              things, like decide to take a NTP server off the public access list, or
                              to move the service to another system that varies so much as to make it
                              useless for apps'a like Faros.

                              Faros is also "a little unkind" to NTP servers too I've been told, due
                              to the poll rate it uses, from prolonged discussions on a NTP newsgroup
                              with people who are "in the know" re these things.
                              (comp.protocols.time.ntp)

                              I've ended up (for several reasons) creating my own local (on my LAN)
                              NTP server, locked to GPS time, just like the beacons themselves. Not
                              a trivial task as it turned out, but I started doing that based on this
                              page. http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html

                              There's a lot to read, and even then, it's not exactly a "how to" as to
                              do it. But I can help there if needed. It does work, and works very
                              well indeed, even running on Windows! More than good enough for Faros.

                              Even without the GPS locking, a local NTP server on your LAN (even
                              running in the background on an existing box) will service Faros just
                              fine, and only sync periodicaly with external NTP sources, if you still
                              have a good one or three to use.

                              However... If your ISP or WAN provider is messing about, and the ping
                              times to the servers vary significantly throught the day (as mine were
                              doing) then you *need* the local GPS locked type of NTP source.

                              Most ISP's sadly will be happy if their NTP servers are within 1S of
                              each other, let alone within mS (or better) of UTC ticks. Contact them
                              to complain about jitter and huge offsets, and if you find someone who
                              doesnt think you're talking about FTP, they still wont have a clue what
                              you're on about.

                              Hope you find out what and why, and it's not NTP issues. Resolvable if
                              that is the case, but it's a bit of a chore. Help available if needed.

                              Regards.

                              Dave G0WBX.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 11, 2010
                                Jerry, an interesting article I just noticed that might pertain to this
                                issue. A project worth following, I think. If NASA is concerned why not
                                FAROS!?

                                http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/11mar_figureaxis.htm

                                Bruce