Re:CAT issue?

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 6:18 AM
      Hi...

      In general, even with a software serial "splitter" like Eltima's (there
      are other good free ones about you know!) You cannot "share" a serial
      port device (your radio) between two (or more) apps.

      Unless... You have some radio/interface management software in between,
      such as OmniRig, that other app's can in turn connect to, and use the
      data from that. And in turn, it keeps it's data tables updated as to
      what the radio is doing.

      But... HRD uses it's own internal drivers, as does I suspect DX4WIN
      (from a brief look at it's web-page) CW Skimmer I think is the only
      one here that uses Omnirig.

      At the moment, you're asking a single user machine (your IC-7800) to be
      a multi user device. It's all going to end in tears.

      Or, you'll have to somehow divert HRD's and DX4WIN's serial traffic, so
      in turn they control and poll OmniRig for their data. If you have
      Eltima's virtual serial port development tools, and a compiler of your
      choice, you could do that I suspect. But it wont be a trivial task.

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 8:10 AM
        Coupled with com0com, hub4com will bridge between ports while
        interconnecting several apps. Quirky, though.

        Jerry W4UK

        At 09:18 AM 3/1/2010, Dave Baxter wrote:
        >Hi...
        >
        >In general, even with a software serial "splitter" like Eltima's (there
        >are other good free ones about you know!) You cannot "share" a serial
        >port device (your radio) between two (or more) apps.
        >
        >Unless... You have some radio/interface management software in between,
        >such as OmniRig, that other app's can in turn connect to, and use the
        >data from that. And in turn, it keeps it's data tables updated as to
        >what the radio is doing.
        >
        >But... HRD uses it's own internal drivers, as does I suspect DX4WIN
        >(from a brief look at it's web-page) CW Skimmer I think is the only
        >one here that uses Omnirig.
        >
        >At the moment, you're asking a single user machine (your IC-7800) to be
        >a multi user device. It's all going to end in tears.
        >
        >Or, you'll have to somehow divert HRD's and DX4WIN's serial traffic, so
        >in turn they control and poll OmniRig for their data. If you have
        >Eltima's virtual serial port development tools, and a compiler of your
        >choice, you could do that I suspect. But it wont be a trivial task.
        >
        >Regards.
        >
        >Dave G0WBX.

      • Dave AA6YQ
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 10:49 AM
          DXLab Commander provides a secondary CAT port that can be connected to
          "follow" frequency and mode directives emitted by another transceiver
          control application (like OmniRig).

          I have Commander controlling my IC-7800, and and Commander's secondary CAT
          port connected to CW Skimmer via com0com; works fine.

          73,

          Dave, AA6YQ