CAT issue?

  • DavidM
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2010
      Having a problem getting CW Skimmer to connect with my IC-7800 through an Eltima serial port splitter. Hoping someone can provide some suggestions on this.

      Here's the situation:

      DX4WIN (logging program)and Ham Radio Deluxe both connect well - simultaneously - through the port splitter. CW Skimmer does so only infrequently. Ideally, I'd like get all three to connect at the same time.

      Baud rate is correct, RTS and DTR are both set to "high," poll interval and time-out are both at recommended settings, and I think I'm good at 8-N-1. So what else could it possibly be??

      Thanks for any and all advice!

      73,
      Dave, W2PK
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi...

        In general, even with a software serial "splitter" like Eltima's (there
        are other good free ones about you know!) You cannot "share" a serial
        port device (your radio) between two (or more) apps.

        Unless... You have some radio/interface management software in between,
        such as OmniRig, that other app's can in turn connect to, and use the
        data from that. And in turn, it keeps it's data tables updated as to
        what the radio is doing.

        But... HRD uses it's own internal drivers, as does I suspect DX4WIN
        (from a brief look at it's web-page) CW Skimmer I think is the only
        one here that uses Omnirig.

        At the moment, you're asking a single user machine (your IC-7800) to be
        a multi user device. It's all going to end in tears.

        Or, you'll have to somehow divert HRD's and DX4WIN's serial traffic, so
        in turn they control and poll OmniRig for their data. If you have
        Eltima's virtual serial port development tools, and a compiler of your
        choice, you could do that I suspect. But it wont be a trivial task.

        Regards.

        Dave G0WBX.

        Having a problem getting CW Skimmer to connect with my IC-7800 through
        an Eltima serial port splitter. Hoping someone can provide some
        suggestions on this.

        Here's the situation:

        DX4WIN (logging program)and Ham Radio Deluxe both connect well -
        simultaneously - through the port splitter. CW Skimmer does so only
        infrequently. Ideally, I'd like get all three to connect at the same
        time.

        Baud rate is correct, RTS and DTR are both set to "high," poll interval
        and time-out are both at recommended settings, and I think I'm good at
        8-N-1. So what else could it possibly be??

        Thanks for any and all advice!

        73,
        Dave, W2PK
      • Jerry Flanders
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          Coupled with com0com, hub4com will bridge between ports while
          interconnecting several apps. Quirky, though.

          Jerry W4UK

          At 09:18 AM 3/1/2010, Dave Baxter wrote:
          >Hi...
          >
          >In general, even with a software serial "splitter" like Eltima's (there
          >are other good free ones about you know!) You cannot "share" a serial
          >port device (your radio) between two (or more) apps.
          >
          >Unless... You have some radio/interface management software in between,
          >such as OmniRig, that other app's can in turn connect to, and use the
          >data from that. And in turn, it keeps it's data tables updated as to
          >what the radio is doing.
          >
          >But... HRD uses it's own internal drivers, as does I suspect DX4WIN
          >(from a brief look at it's web-page) CW Skimmer I think is the only
          >one here that uses Omnirig.
          >
          >At the moment, you're asking a single user machine (your IC-7800) to be
          >a multi user device. It's all going to end in tears.
          >
          >Or, you'll have to somehow divert HRD's and DX4WIN's serial traffic, so
          >in turn they control and poll OmniRig for their data. If you have
          >Eltima's virtual serial port development tools, and a compiler of your
          >choice, you could do that I suspect. But it wont be a trivial task.
          >
          >Regards.
          >
          >Dave G0WBX.

        • Dave AA6YQ
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            DXLab Commander provides a secondary CAT port that can be connected to
            "follow" frequency and mode directives emitted by another transceiver
            control application (like OmniRig).

            I have Commander controlling my IC-7800, and and Commander's secondary CAT
            port connected to CW Skimmer via com0com; works fine.

            73,

            Dave, AA6YQ