I miss some theory.

  • Vytenis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27 6:31 AM
      Hello

      Probably I don't have some theory of radio waves propagation and miss some point. About Ionoprobe. One of Radio waves propagation guru's Karl Leutzelschwab K9LA in PVRC webinar http://mysite.verizon.net/k9la/Propagation_Prediction_Programs_Their_Development_and__Use_-_20_October_2009.ppt clearly stated that HF propagation has correlation to Smoothed Sunspot Number (or smoothed SFI) and only to this number and any other number like daily value has very little correlation to radio wave propagation. This was illustrated with the graphs. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to apply real time data to propagation prediction in HAMCap?
      http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-review-propagation-software.htm#DXAtlas-HamCAP says DXAtlas shines in combination with Ionoprobe and taking Ionosonde data and applying it to propagation calculations. That possibly would be good. But although name implies, I do not see ionosonde data like foF2 or MUF retrieved by Ionoprobe. Just SSN, SFI, Proton flux and Xray. Is www.astrosurf.com stating wrong?

      Please help me to understand
      Thank you

      Vytenis
      ly2kz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27 8:05 AM
        Hi Vytenis,

        IonoProbe downloads the real time foF2 values measured by the network of
        ionosonde stations, fits the mathematical model of the ionosphere to these
        values, and computes SSNe, the effective SSN, that results in the best fit.
        SSNe is then sent to DX Atlas and used to compute the real time map of
        ionospheric parameters. However, this has nothing to do with propagation
        prediction. Please note that the documentation that comes with the software
        is more accurate than any third party reviews.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28 4:52 AM
          Thank you Alex for explanation.
          Indeed, I downloaded Ionoprobe trial and found effective SSN here.
          But now I have another question. Effective SSN varies during day significantly. Therefore if SSNe data is taken from ionosonde which is near my QTH, it will work out for me. But if it is taken from ionosonde somewhere in Newfoundland island it won't show real picture in Europe.
          Or I am wrong?
          And for the final. Effective SSN information is not shown in the ALTS, RSGA, SGAS, SRS, WKHF text messages. Did I miss or it is somewhere in the background?

          Thank you

          Vytenis
          ly2kz
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28 8:18 AM
            Hi Vytenis,

            SSNe is not taken from the space weather bulletins, it is computed in
            IonoProbe. The computation algorithm uses the foF2 observations collected by
            all available ionosonde stations, not just by the station nearest to you,
            this is required to produce a correct global map.