Feature request: CW-Skimmer

  • Tobias Wellnitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
      Hey Alex,

      in the latest version of Win-Test (4.4), Olivier F5MZN implemented a
      direct interface to OmniRig.
      Finally, CW-Skimmer and Win-Test can talk to the radio on the same COM-port.

      There is just a little detail: A couple cw-skimmer users have tapped
      the softrock-if to the second VFO instead of the first VFO. On the
      FT1000MP this allows us to bypass filters and monitor a larger portion
      of the band). The issue is, that CW-Skimmer always retrieves the
      frequency information from the first VFO which causes some trouble if
      the SDR is tapped to the second VFO.

      Do you think it would be possible to include a switch in the
      CW-Skimmer settings which let's us select the source of the frequency
      information (either VFOA or VFOB) ?

      Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to solve this within the .ini of OmniRig.

      Thanks a lot,

      73 Toby
      http://www.dh1tw.de
    • Mark Sihlanick
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
        I was able to modify the omnirig file for my k3 to swap all the vfo b and a commands. This let me run a skimmer on both rcvrs. Maybe you can mod the omnirig file for your configuration.

        Mark n2qr

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2010
          Hey Mark,

          thanks for coming back to my query. Do you use Win-Test at the same time or
          any other application using the OmniRig Engine at the same time?

          73 Toby
          http://www.dh1tw.de

          On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Mark Sihlanick <^> wrote:

          > I was able to modify the omnirig file for my k3 to swap all the vfo b and a
          > commands. This let me run a skimmer on both rcvrs. Maybe you can mod the
          > omnirig file for your configuration.
          >
          > Mark n2qr

        • jim_w8wy
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3 6:25 AM
            I agree..."Do you think it would be possible to include a switch in the CW-Skimmer settings which let's us select the source of the frequency information (either VFOA or VFOB) ?" I'm a new user of CW Skimmer and currently use the 'radio' mode with a FT-2000D and DXLab's Commander, which now interoperates with CW Skimmer (thanks Dave AA6YQ). As limiting as the 'radio' mode is, I can fine tune the DX station with VFO A and and scan the split range with VFO B for an opening or clamp on the last worked station's frequency. This to me is what CW Skimmer is about.....help us here Alex.

            Thanks, Jim w8wy

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Tobias Wellnitz <tobias.wellnitz@...> wrote:

            > Hey Alex,
            >
            > in the latest version of Win-Test (4.4), Olivier F5MZN implemented a
            > direct interface to OmniRig.
            > Finally, CW-Skimmer and Win-Test can talk to the radio on the same COM-port.
            >
            > There is just a little detail: A couple cw-skimmer users have tapped
            > the softrock-if to the second VFO instead of the first VFO. On the
            > FT1000MP this allows us to bypass filters and monitor a larger portion
            > of the band). The issue is, that CW-Skimmer always retrieves the
            > frequency information from the first VFO which causes some trouble if
            > the SDR is tapped to the second VFO.
            >
            > Do you think it would be possible to include a switch in the
            > CW-Skimmer settings which let's us select the source of the frequency
            > information (either VFOA or VFOB) ?
            >
            > Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to solve this within the .ini of OmniRig.
            >
            > Thanks a lot,
            >
            > 73 Toby
            > http://www.dh1tw.de

          • Tobias Wellnitz
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2010
              Hey Alex,

              it took me some time, but today I wrote a detailed post why it would
              be handy to select VFO-A OR VFO-B as a frequency source in CW-Skimmer.
              Mainly it's a problem for all contesters which are using, Skimmer,
              Win-Test and having an SDR in the second receiver. I also tried to
              explain in this post why IMO it does not help to change the .ini file
              of Omni-Rig. I would be grateful if you could have a look over it. It
              does not require more than 5 minutes reading it.

              http://www.dh1tw.de/cw-skimmer-and-win-test

              Thanks & best regards,
              Tobias
              EA4/DH1TW