Re: [dxatlas] Re: Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
      For my education, Phil, what are the purposes of the two capacitors in
      the circuit?

      73, Pete N4ZR
      Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      On 2/16/2010 8:00 PM, Phil N8VB wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:
      >
      > <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>
      >
      > Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:
      >
      > <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Phil Covington
      > Software Radio Laboratory LLC
      > Columbus, Ohio
      > http://www.srl-llc.com
      >
      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mack"<mccormick_mack@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
      >> multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
      >>
      >> 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
      >>
      >> 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
      >> antenna with a transmit antenna?
      >>
      >> 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
      >> place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
      >> the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
      >> understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
      >> to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
      >> error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
      >> shudder.
      >>
      >> I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
      >> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
      >>
      >> 73,
      >>
      >> Mack de WB4MAK
      >> http://www.nfarl.org
      >> http://www.sedxc.org

    • Phil N8VB
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
        Hello,

        It's mainly for DC blocking. The ratio of the reactance of the two caps are somewhat important also to the operation of the circuit - it's easier to see why if you model it in something like LTSpice.

        73 Phil N8VB