Re: Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver

  • Phil N8VB
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
      Hello,

      On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:

      <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>

      Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:

      <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.

      Regards,

      Phil Covington
      Software Radio Laboratory LLC
      Columbus, Ohio
      http://www.srl-llc.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
        For my education, Phil, what are the purposes of the two capacitors in
        the circuit?

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 2/16/2010 8:00 PM, Phil N8VB wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:
        >
        > <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>
        >
        > Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:
        >
        > <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Phil Covington
        > Software Radio Laboratory LLC
        > Columbus, Ohio
        > http://www.srl-llc.com
        >
        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mack"<mccormick_mack@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
        >> multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
        >>
        >> 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
        >>
        >> 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
        >> antenna with a transmit antenna?
        >>
        >> 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
        >> place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
        >> the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
        >> understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
        >> to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
        >> error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
        >> shudder.
        >>
        >> I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
        >> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
        >>
        >> 73,
        >>
        >> Mack de WB4MAK
        >> http://www.nfarl.org
        >> http://www.sedxc.org

      • Phil N8VB
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
          Hello,

          It's mainly for DC blocking. The ratio of the reactance of the two caps are somewhat important also to the operation of the circuit - it's easier to see why if you model it in something like LTSpice.

          73 Phil N8VB