Re: [dxatlas] Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
      FWIW, I'm using an 8-foot active vertical, and results are quite
      acceptable, although I could doubtless hear more with Beverages on 80
      and 160. The big advantage of this approach is that you don't miss
      openings because your antennas are pointed the wrong direction, and of
      course you avoid the risk of feeding 1500 watts straight to the QS1R.

      The protection strategy you describe makes sense to me. Having that
      protector between the relay and the QS1R should prevent any transients
      from less than perfect relay sequencing, though it would be good to use
      a PTT output that leads RF production if you have that sequencing available.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      On 2/15/2010 3:00 PM, Mack wrote:
      > I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
      > multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
      >
      > 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
      >
      > 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
      > antenna with a transmit antenna?
      >
      > 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
      > place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
      > the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
      > understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
      > to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
      > error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
      > shudder.
      >
      > I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
      > http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Mack de WB4MAK
      > http://www.nfarl.org
      > http://www.sedxc.org

    • Mack McCormick
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
        Thank you to everyone for the responses. Yes, I can use a keying sequencer to ensure the grounding relay on the Quicksilver input is grounded before RF is generated. However, I think it's best to try a 32 foot receive only vertical (for omni direction receiving) and see the results first. I'll still protect the front end of the receiver.

        73,

        Mack

        WB4MAK

        > Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:41:54 -0500
        > From: n4zr@...
        > To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
        > CC: skimmertalk@...
        > Subject: Re: [Skimmertalk] [dxatlas] Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver
        >
        > FWIW, I'm using an 8-foot active vertical, and results are quite
        > acceptable, although I could doubtless hear more with Beverages on 80
        > and 160. The big advantage of this approach is that you don't miss
        > openings because your antennas are pointed the wrong direction, and of
        > course you avoid the risk of feeding 1500 watts straight to the QS1R.
        >
        > The protection strategy you describe makes sense to me. Having that
        > protector between the relay and the QS1R should prevent any transients
        > from less than perfect relay sequencing, though it would be good to use
        > a PTT output that leads RF production if you have that sequencing available.
        >

        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
        >

        > On 2/15/2010 3:00 PM, Mack wrote:
        > > I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
        > > multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
        > >
        > > 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
        > >
        > > 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
        > > antenna with a transmit antenna?
        > >
        > > 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
        > > place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
        > > the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
        > > understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
        > > to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
        > > error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
        > > shudder.
        > >
        > > I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
        > > http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
        > >
        > > 73,
        > >
        > > Mack de WB4MAK
        > > http://www.nfarl.org
        > > http://www.sedxc.org

      • Phil N8VB
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
          Hello,

          On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:

          <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>

          Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:

          <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.

          Regards,

          Phil Covington
          Software Radio Laboratory LLC
          Columbus, Ohio
          http://www.srl-llc.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
            For my education, Phil, what are the purposes of the two capacitors in
            the circuit?

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            On 2/16/2010 8:00 PM, Phil N8VB wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:
            >
            > <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>
            >
            > Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:
            >
            > <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Phil Covington
            > Software Radio Laboratory LLC
            > Columbus, Ohio
            > http://www.srl-llc.com
            >
            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mack"<mccormick_mack@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
            >> multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
            >>
            >> 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
            >>
            >> 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
            >> antenna with a transmit antenna?
            >>
            >> 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
            >> place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
            >> the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
            >> understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
            >> to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
            >> error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
            >> shudder.
            >>
            >> I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
            >> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
            >>
            >> 73,
            >>
            >> Mack de WB4MAK
            >> http://www.nfarl.org
            >> http://www.sedxc.org

          • Phil N8VB
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
              Hello,

              It's mainly for DC blocking. The ratio of the reactance of the two caps are somewhat important also to the operation of the circuit - it's easier to see why if you model it in something like LTSpice.

              73 Phil N8VB