Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver

  • Mack
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
      I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
      multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.

      1. What antenna are you using? Height?

      2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
      antenna with a transmit antenna?

      3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
      place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
      the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
      understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
      to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
      error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
      shudder.

      I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
      http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter

      73,

      Mack de WB4MAK
      http://www.nfarl.org
      http://www.sedxc.org
    • Wes Cosand
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
        Hi Mack:

        Yes, there are lots of variables. One of which is what frequencies you plan
        to use.

        I monitor the main ham bands with Skimmer Server. So I need an impedance as
        close to 50 ohms as I can get on all the bands. One solution is to use
        active antennas -- a short antenna with electronics that present the coax
        with 50 ohms. I know of QS1R users who are using units from Clifton
        Laboratories and from DX Engineering.

        The other good solution is to use a dedicated vertical designed for
        transmitting that is near resonant on all the bands. I am using the HyGain
        HyTower Jr. which is not too expensive and which is simple enough for me to
        understand and repair. It isn't supposed to be resonant on 160 or the WARC
        bands but it is performing OK for me.

        A third solution that some are using is a simple non-resonant vertical. If
        your feed line isn't too long and if you are limited by noise, perhaps this
        is a good solution.

        I had the line protector in line that you are proposing to use. I am not
        certain what happened but my telnet users who are 160 meter enthusiasts
        started complaining about poor sensitivity. It appeared to me that the ICE
        unit was attenuating signals at those frequencies. It may well have been
        damaged although it was protected by a Polyphaser unit.

        I have the Clifton Labs Norton preamp inserted before the QS1R and it
        grounds the RF input when its DC power is cut. So I put a Radio Shack relay
        in the preamp box to cut it's DC when I key the Orion transmitter (I used a
        circuit from ON4UN's "Low Band DXing"). Seems to work very smoothly.

        Wes, WZ7I

        www.wz7i.com
        CW Skimmer CQ spots: cw.wz7i.com:7300

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
          FWIW, I'm using an 8-foot active vertical, and results are quite
          acceptable, although I could doubtless hear more with Beverages on 80
          and 160. The big advantage of this approach is that you don't miss
          openings because your antennas are pointed the wrong direction, and of
          course you avoid the risk of feeding 1500 watts straight to the QS1R.

          The protection strategy you describe makes sense to me. Having that
          protector between the relay and the QS1R should prevent any transients
          from less than perfect relay sequencing, though it would be good to use
          a PTT output that leads RF production if you have that sequencing available.

          73, Pete N4ZR
          Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

          On 2/15/2010 3:00 PM, Mack wrote:
          > I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
          > multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
          >
          > 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
          >
          > 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
          > antenna with a transmit antenna?
          >
          > 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
          > place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
          > the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
          > understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
          > to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
          > error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
          > shudder.
          >
          > I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
          > http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Mack de WB4MAK
          > http://www.nfarl.org
          > http://www.sedxc.org

        • Mack McCormick
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
            Thank you to everyone for the responses. Yes, I can use a keying sequencer to ensure the grounding relay on the Quicksilver input is grounded before RF is generated. However, I think it's best to try a 32 foot receive only vertical (for omni direction receiving) and see the results first. I'll still protect the front end of the receiver.

            73,

            Mack

            WB4MAK

            > Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:41:54 -0500
            > From: n4zr@...
            > To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
            > CC: skimmertalk@...
            > Subject: Re: [Skimmertalk] [dxatlas] Antenna for Quicksilver Receiver
            >
            > FWIW, I'm using an 8-foot active vertical, and results are quite
            > acceptable, although I could doubtless hear more with Beverages on 80
            > and 160. The big advantage of this approach is that you don't miss
            > openings because your antennas are pointed the wrong direction, and of
            > course you avoid the risk of feeding 1500 watts straight to the QS1R.
            >
            > The protection strategy you describe makes sense to me. Having that
            > protector between the relay and the QS1R should prevent any transients
            > from less than perfect relay sequencing, though it would be good to use
            > a PTT output that leads RF production if you have that sequencing available.
            >

            > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
            > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
            >

            > On 2/15/2010 3:00 PM, Mack wrote:
            > > I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
            > > multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
            > >
            > > 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
            > >
            > > 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
            > > antenna with a transmit antenna?
            > >
            > > 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
            > > place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
            > > the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
            > > understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
            > > to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
            > > error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
            > > shudder.
            > >
            > > I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
            > > http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
            > >
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Mack de WB4MAK
            > > http://www.nfarl.org
            > > http://www.sedxc.org

          • Phil N8VB
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
              Hello,

              On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:

              <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>

              Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:

              <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.

              Regards,

              Phil Covington
              Software Radio Laboratory LLC
              Columbus, Ohio
              http://www.srl-llc.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
                For my education, Phil, what are the purposes of the two capacitors in
                the circuit?

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                On 2/16/2010 8:00 PM, Phil N8VB wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > On the subject of protection here is possible circuit to use for front end protection of the QS1R if you are in to DIY:
                >
                > <http://www.philcovington.com/qs1r_latest/Documents/Schematics/qs1r_rxprot.pdf>
                >
                > Also see Q25 in the QS1R FAQ at:
                >
                > <http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/QS1R+FAQ> which describes the above circuit.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Phil Covington
                > Software Radio Laboratory LLC
                > Columbus, Ohio
                > http://www.srl-llc.com
                >
                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mack"<mccormick_mack@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I plan to add a Quicksilver receiver to my station set up this week for
                >> multi-band use with CWSkimmer Server.
                >>
                >> 1. What antenna are you using? Height?
                >>
                >> 2. Is the antenna dedicated to the Quicksilver or are your sharing the
                >> antenna with a transmit antenna?
                >>
                >> 3. If you're sharing the antenna with a transmit antenna is it sufficient to
                >> place a receiver protector on the front end of the Quicksilver and to short
                >> the antenna input to ground via a relay during keying? Of course, I
                >> understand there are many variables here and will measure the input voltage
                >> to the Quicksilver to ensure I'm not exceeding 0.3mv. A mechanical relay
                >> error that would send 1.5kw into the input of the receiver does make me
                >> shudder.
                >>
                >> I plan to use this limiter on the input to the receiver:
                >> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter
                >>
                >> 73,
                >>
                >> Mack de WB4MAK
                >> http://www.nfarl.org
                >> http://www.sedxc.org

              • Phil N8VB
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
                  Hello,

                  It's mainly for DC blocking. The ratio of the reactance of the two caps are somewhat important also to the operation of the circuit - it's easier to see why if you model it in something like LTSpice.

                  73 Phil N8VB