Re: [dxatlas] Skimmer Server,

  • K4IA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
      I am seeing reference to "Skimmer Server" and the version numbers look
      different from the "Skimmer" I am using. Are there two programs out there?
      Where do I learn the differences?

      Buck
      k4ia

      In a message dated 2/9/2010 5:16:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      johati@... writes:

      Thanks again Pete.

      I am testing (now) under normal conditions.
      Not in contest conditions.
      So stations are calling like "CQ CQ DE PE2HD PE2HD AR K"
      I only want to see CQ spots so I've checked "Post only "CQ" Spots" on the
      Telnet tab.

      73 de PE2HD, Harry

      --- In _dxatlas_group@dxatlas_groudxa_
      (mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com) , Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm, this is interesting. The scenario Alex identified and I tested
      > involved a sequence like N4ZR TEST <short space> PE2HD PE2HD. If the
      > short space is too short (like if the calling station is very quick with
      > his reply), then Skimmer cannot tell which station is the one calling
      > CQ, and it reports them both. What he did in Skimmer Server 1.1 was to
      > introduce a rule saying "if the callsign right before the TEST and the
      > one right after it are different, don't identify the one right after it
      > as a CQer." I tested that rule on a lot of 160M data, and found that 4
      > out of 5 of the mis-identifications would not happen if he implemented
      > his rule in Skimmer Server, so that is what he did.
      >
      > The difficulty is that right now there is no way of recording the 7-band
      > QS1R data stream or playing it back in Skimmer Server, so all this
      > testing had to be done with the straight Skimmer. I was using 1.4 for
      > the tests, and found it was very prone to making this kind of error. I
      > don't know whether Alex might have incorporated this rule change in 1.5,
      > because I stopped using it for other reasons, related to its failing to
      > do master.dta lookups, even in paranoid mode.
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      > Visit the Contesting Compendium at _http://wiki.http://wikihtt_
      (http://wiki.contesting.com/)
      www.conteststations
      > The Reverse Beacon Network at _http://reversebeacohttp:_
      (http://reversebeacon.net/)

      > On 2/9/2010 4:49 PM, pe2hd wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you very much for your answer Pete.
      > >
      > > I do have the latest Skimmer Server installed.
      > > Skimmer Server starts well but after a cq-calling station makes a qso
      or is called by other stations then the other callsings are also spotted on
      the same frequency.
      > > When I run CW Skimmer with my QS1R or Perseus I hardly see any "mis
      identifications"

      > > 73 de PE2HD, Harry
      > >
      > > --- In _dxatlas_group@dxatlas_groudxa_
      (mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com) , Pete Smith<n4zr@> wrote:

      > >> You can download the very latest Skimmer Server (1.1), just announced.
      > >> It should eliminate about 80 percent of the mis-identifications found
      > >> with Version 1.0.
      > >>
      > >> 73, Pete N4ZR
      > >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at _http://wiki.http://wikihtt_
      (http://wiki.contesting.com/)
      > >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
      www.conteststations The
      > >> The Reverse Beacon Network at _http://reversebeacohttp:_
      (http://reversebeacon.net/)

      that the CQ calling station is working on his CQ frequency?

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
        The 'Skimmer' and 'Skimmer Server' are two different programs with
        different functions. Check Alex's site for details.

        Bruce, K2BET