Skimmer Server, prevent spotting calling calls on CQ frequency

  • pe2hd
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
      Hi,

      How can I prevent Skimmer Server spotting callsigns from stations that the CQ calling station is working on his CQ frequency?

      73 de PE2HD, Harry
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
        You can download the very latest Skimmer Server (1.1), just announced.
        It should eliminate about 80 percent of the mis-identifications found
        with Version 1.0.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 2/9/2010 7:32 AM, pe2hd wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > How can I prevent Skimmer Server spotting callsigns from stations that the CQ calling station is working on his CQ frequency?
        >
        > 73 de PE2HD, Harry

      • pe2hd
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
          Thank you very much for your answer Pete.

          I do have the latest Skimmer Server installed.
          Skimmer Server starts well but after a cq-calling station makes a qso or is called by other stations then the other callsings are also spotted on the same frequency.
          When I run CW Skimmer with my QS1R or Perseus I hardly see any "mis identifications".

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
            Hmmm, this is interesting. The scenario Alex identified and I tested
            involved a sequence like N4ZR TEST <short space> PE2HD PE2HD. If the
            short space is too short (like if the calling station is very quick with
            his reply), then Skimmer cannot tell which station is the one calling
            CQ, and it reports them both. What he did in Skimmer Server 1.1 was to
            introduce a rule saying "if the callsign right before the TEST and the
            one right after it are different, don't identify the one right after it
            as a CQer." I tested that rule on a lot of 160M data, and found that 4
            out of 5 of the mis-identifications would not happen if he implemented
            his rule in Skimmer Server, so that is what he did.

            The difficulty is that right now there is no way of recording the 7-band
            QS1R data stream or playing it back in Skimmer Server, so all this
            testing had to be done with the straight Skimmer. I was using 1.4 for
            the tests, and found it was very prone to making this kind of error. I
            don't know whether Alex might have incorporated this rule change in 1.5,
            because I stopped using it for other reasons, related to its failing to
            do master.dta lookups, even in paranoid mode.

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            On 2/9/2010 4:49 PM, pe2hd wrote:

            > Thank you very much for your answer Pete.
            >
            > I do have the latest Skimmer Server installed.
            > Skimmer Server starts well but after a cq-calling station makes a qso or is called by other stations then the other callsings are also spotted on the same frequency.
            > When I run CW Skimmer with my QS1R or Perseus I hardly see any "mis identifications".
            >
            > 73 de PE2HD, Harry
            >
            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
            >
            >> You can download the very latest Skimmer Server (1.1), just announced.
            >> It should eliminate about 80 percent of the mis-identifications found
            >> with Version 1.0.
            >>
            >> 73, Pete N4ZR
            >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
            >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
            >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
            >>

            >> On 2/9/2010 7:32 AM, pe2hd wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hi,
            >>>
            >>> How can I prevent Skimmer Server spotting callsigns from stations that the CQ calling station is working on his CQ frequency?
            >>>
            >>> 73 de PE2HD, Harry

          • pe2hd
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
              Thanks again Pete.

              I am testing (now) under normal conditions.
              Not in contest conditions.
              So stations are calling like "CQ CQ DE PE2HD PE2HD AR K"
              I only want to see CQ spots so I've checked "Post only "CQ" Spots" on the Telnet tab.

              73 de PE2HD, Harry

              > Hmmm, this is interesting. The scenario Alex identified and I tested
              > involved a sequence like N4ZR TEST <short space> PE2HD PE2HD. If the
              > short space is too short (like if the calling station is very quick with
              > his reply), then Skimmer cannot tell which station is the one calling
              > CQ, and it reports them both. What he did in Skimmer Server 1.1 was to
              > introduce a rule saying "if the callsign right before the TEST and the
              > one right after it are different, don't identify the one right after it
              > as a CQer." I tested that rule on a lot of 160M data, and found that 4
              > out of 5 of the mis-identifications would not happen if he implemented
              > his rule in Skimmer Server, so that is what he did.
              >
              > The difficulty is that right now there is no way of recording the 7-band
              > QS1R data stream or playing it back in Skimmer Server, so all this
              > testing had to be done with the straight Skimmer. I was using 1.4 for
              > the tests, and found it was very prone to making this kind of error. I
              > don't know whether Alex might have incorporated this rule change in 1.5,
              > because I stopped using it for other reasons, related to its failing to
              > do master.dta lookups, even in paranoid mode.
              >
              > 73, Pete N4ZR
              > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
              > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
              >

              > On 2/9/2010 4:49 PM, pe2hd wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you very much for your answer Pete.
              > >
              > > I do have the latest Skimmer Server installed.
              > > Skimmer Server starts well but after a cq-calling station makes a qso or is called by other stations then the other callsings are also spotted on the same frequency.
              > > When I run CW Skimmer with my QS1R or Perseus I hardly see any "mis identifications".
              > >
              > > 73 de PE2HD, Harry
              > >
              > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith<n4zr@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> You can download the very latest Skimmer Server (1.1), just announced.
              > >> It should eliminate about 80 percent of the mis-identifications found
              > >> with Version 1.0.
              > >>
              > >> 73, Pete N4ZR
              > >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
              > >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
              > >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net

            • pe2hd
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
                Hi again,

                After giving it another thought there could be a problem.
                because during a normal QSO usualy the transmissions starts and ends with something like "N4ZR DE PE2HD .............. N4ZR DE PE2HD KN" assuming I was the CQ caller, here the second call IS the CQer.

                Remarkable that the straight Skimmer doesn't show this behavior.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
                  I don't understand why not, and I'm sure I don't know the full
                  explanation for how the rules work - best to ask Alex directly if he
                  doesn't pick up on the point and reply.

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com