Re: [dxatlas] HamCAP - dB to "S" units conversion

  • Mike Harris
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
      Hi AGH,

      Further, given that HamCAP is just a convenient front end to VOCAP I
      assume that it is using the manmade noise level of -145dBW/Hz in 1Hz
      BW. Over and above this are all the other QRN noise sources at your
      particular location.

      Reasonably easy copy can be assumed as +10dB SN for SSB and a lot
      less for CW.

      S-numbers are meaningless, they depend upon many things including
      antenna gain or loss. A low noise receiving antenna won't
      necessarily give you an S9 signal but a good SN. On the other hand
      a good S9 signal might be fighting with S8 thunderstorm QRN and a
      poor SN.

      If I use my 30M antenna to listen on 40M the band seems quiet but I
      can still hear the signals well. convert (match) that same antenna
      to 40M and signals increas in strength by many S-points but so does
      the QRN, no improvement in SN.

      Regards,

      Mike VP8NO