CW Skimmer with SDR-IQ "Can't create SDR-14 Object"

  • obrienaj
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2010
      Well, the SDR IQ arrived today, have it working with SDR-RADio and also SpectraVue. When I try it with CW Skimmer I select SDR-IQ as the hardware type, 48Khz as the sampling rate, then click "START"....I get an error that says "can't create SDR-14 object. Ideas ?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2010
          Thanks Alex, I suspected that might be it. Easier said than done , the PC I am using has an issue with USB device drivers , but I will eventually solve it. I'll install CW Skimmer and the SDR-IQ on another PC with no known USB device issues and get used to how Cw Skimmer is supposed to work, then solve it on the ham shack main PC.

          Andy K3UK

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2010
            No go Alex. I installed everything on a totally different PC, this time the SDR-IQ was detected right away and I installed the drivers. When I started CW Skimmer I got the "can't create SDR-14 object". .

            Andy K3UK

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
              Duh, problem solved. Alex was talking about a different driver that what I was thinking about. The SDRIQx.dll solved the proble. Way cool.

              Now, luckily I have a day off tomorow to play around with it

              Andy

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "obrienaj" <k3uk@...> wrote:

              > No go Alex. I installed everything on a totally different PC, this time the SDR-IQ was detected right away and I installed the drivers. When I started CW Skimmer I got the "can't create SDR-14 object". .
              >
              > Andy K3UK
              >
              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "obrienaj" <k3uk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Alex, I suspected that might be it. Easier said than done , the PC I am using has an issue with USB device drivers , but I will eventually solve it. I'll install CW Skimmer and the SDR-IQ on another PC with no known USB device issues and get used to how Cw Skimmer is supposed to work, then solve it on the ham shack main PC.
              > >
              > > Andy K3UK
              > >

              > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi obrienaj,
              > > >
              > > > Install the driver as described in the Help file.
              > > >
              > > > 73 Alex VE3NEA
              > > >

              > > > Well, the SDR IQ arrived today, have it working with SDR-RADio and also
              > > > SpectraVue. When I try it with CW Skimmer I select SDR-IQ as the hardware
              > > > type, 48Khz as the sampling rate, then click "START"....I get an error that
              > > > says "can't create SDR-14 object. Ideas ?

            • AGH
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
                Hi, i am using Hamcap recently and want to know how can i convert dB to "S" units, is there a formula to convert? I search on google, but not clear to me the answers
                73 and Tnx in advance
                Arthur G. Hughes

                Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
                http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Here is a URL which might be of help in your quest. There are others..
                  be sure to use the key words 'decibel to S unit conversion RF'
                  http://www.radioing.com/hamradio/convert.html
                  Bruce, K2BET

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
                    Here is what 'Wikapedia' has to say about 'S-Units'. Pretty good info
                    here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_unit

                    Bruce Tanner wrote:
                    > Here is a URL which might be of help in your quest. There are others..
                    > be sure to use the key words 'decibel to S unit conversion RF'
                    > http://www.radioing.com/hamradio/convert.html
                    > Bruce, K2BET
                    >

                    > AGH wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi, i am using Hamcap recently and want to know how can i convert dB
                    >> to "S" units, is there a formula to convert? I search on google, but
                    >> not clear to me the answers
                    >> 73 and Tnx in advance
                    >> Arthur G. Hughes
                    >>
                    >> Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
                    >> http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/ <http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/>

                    >> signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

                    >> http://www.eset.com

                    > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

                    > http://www.eset.com

                  • AGH
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
                      Hi, thanks for info Bruce but really the question is Hamcap shows in the chart option dB from SNR, so how can i know when, ie. a 30 dB of SNR, it means that i possibly have a good or regular or bad condition with the DX station? in other words what are the limits from that dB to classify it like good, regular or bad conditions?. And then try to convert into S units.

                      Arthur G. Hughes

                      AGH wrote:

                      > Hi, i am using Hamcap recently and want to know how can i convert dB
                      > to "S" units, is there a formula to convert? I search on google, but
                      > not clear to me the answers
                      > 73 and Tnx in advance
                      > Arthur G. Hughes
                      >
                      > Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
                      > http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/ <http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/>

                      > signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

                      > http://www.eset.com

                      Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
                      http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

                    • Mike Harris
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
                        G'day,

                        Don't forget that VOACAP gives SNR in a 1Hz bandwidth. The convert
                        to SNR in whatever BW you are using eg. SSB (2400Hz), CW (400Hz) you
                        need to do a bit of maths: 10log_10 x 1/BW

                        For the above BW's subtract 34dB for SSB and 26dB for CW from the
                        SNR figure shown in HamCAP. This makes the SNR figures look not so
                        rosy.

                        With the above corrections the SN numbers closely match those you
                        get from similar bandwidths entered into W6ELProp.

                        Regards,

                        Mike VP8NO

                        AGH wrote:

                        > Hi, i am using Hamcap recently and want to know how can i convert
                        > dB
                        > to "S" units, is there a formula to convert? I search on google,
                        > but
                        > not clear to me the answers
                        > 73 and Tnx in advance
                        > Arthur G. Hughes
                      • Mike Harris
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
                          Hi AGH,

                          Further, given that HamCAP is just a convenient front end to VOCAP I
                          assume that it is using the manmade noise level of -145dBW/Hz in 1Hz
                          BW. Over and above this are all the other QRN noise sources at your
                          particular location.

                          Reasonably easy copy can be assumed as +10dB SN for SSB and a lot
                          less for CW.

                          S-numbers are meaningless, they depend upon many things including
                          antenna gain or loss. A low noise receiving antenna won't
                          necessarily give you an S9 signal but a good SN. On the other hand
                          a good S9 signal might be fighting with S8 thunderstorm QRN and a
                          poor SN.

                          If I use my 30M antenna to listen on 40M the band seems quiet but I
                          can still hear the signals well. convert (match) that same antenna
                          to 40M and signals increas in strength by many S-points but so does
                          the QRN, no improvement in SN.

                          Regards,

                          Mike VP8NO