Re: [dxatlas] Ionoprobe storm alerts

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
      My Ionoprobe is also showing the Class 'M' Flare. Look at the 'Today"
      data under "Xrays" and you should see a C3.9 reading. On the graphic
      there is also a "Class M" elevation for today. BTW, Space Weather. Com
      had predicted this possibility in their last report issued yesterday.

      Bruce, K2BET

      Ted Roycraft wrote:

      > There was an M-class (x-ray) flare on about 1300Z Jan 19.
      >
      > 73, Ted, W2ZK
      >
      > Pete Smith wrote:
      > >

      > > Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
      > > the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
      > > mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
      > > when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
      > > occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.
      > >
      > > What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?
      > >
      > > --
      > > 73, Pete N4ZR
      > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
      > > <http://wiki.contesting.com <http://wiki.contesting.com>>
      > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
      > > www.conteststations.com
      > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
      > <http://reversebeacon.net>
      > > <http://reversebeacon.net <http://reversebeacon.net>>

      > signature database 4785 (20100119) __________

      > http://www.eset.com
    • Ted Roycraft
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
        I'm guessing but the pane you're looking at (WWV STORM ALERTS) was
        issued 3 hours ago. The M-class flare occurred about 2 hours ago. No
        one can predict an M-class flare with any certainty. The systray was
        responding to the realtime indication that an M-class flare was in progress.

        Ted, W2ZK

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
          Hi Pete,

          The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
          hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
          issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
          solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
          an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
          IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
          actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
            Ah, OK - so the X-rays are the key. Makes sense. Thanks, Alex.

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            On 1/19/2010 10:12 AM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
            > Hi Pete,
            >
            > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
            > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
            > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
            > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
            > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
            > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
            > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

            >> I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
            >> coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
            >>
            >> 73, Pete N4ZR
            >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
            >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
            >> www.conteststations.com
            >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
            >>

            >> On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
            >>
            >>> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
            >>>
            >>> Ted

          • James Streible
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
              Thanks Alex, We learn something new everyday.

              Jim K4DLI

              Alex, VE3NEA wrote:

              > Hi Pete,
              >
              > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA
              > every 3
              > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA
              > decides to
              > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
              > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few
              > minutes to
              > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
              > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
              > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

              > >I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
              > > coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
              > >
              > > 73, Pete N4ZR
              > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
              > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
              > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
              > > www.conteststations.com
              > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
              > <http://reversebeacon.net>
              > >

              > > On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
              > >> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
              > >>
              > >> Ted

              > background of
              > blackout, but
              > storm is

              > <http://wiki.contesting.com>

              > <http://wiki.contesting.com><http://wiki.contesting.com
              > <http://wiki.contesting.com>>>
              > <http://reversebeacon.net>

              > <http://reversebeacon.net><http://reversebeacon.net
              > <http://reversebeacon.net>>>

            • Jim Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                Hah, I was just reading this when my speakers honked at me. Never
                heard them do that before. Ionoprobe just turned red. M1.2 flare

                73, Jim VE7FO

                Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                > Hi Pete,
                >
                > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                >> I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                >> coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                >>
                >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                >> www.conteststations.com
                >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                >>

                >> On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                >>> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                >>>
                >>> Ted

              • Dave Baxter
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Radio Blackout?

                  My Faros status pages show much the oposite! Everything is positively
                  lively at the moment. Of course, what happens later is always sort of
                  unknown.

                  http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008

                  73.

                  Dave G0WBX