Re: [dxatlas] Ionoprobe storm alerts

  • Ted Roycraft
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
      See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.

      Ted

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
        Now the background color has reverted to blue/green, still leaving me
        mystified.

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
          I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
          coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
            My Ionoprobe is also showing the Class 'M' Flare. Look at the 'Today"
            data under "Xrays" and you should see a C3.9 reading. On the graphic
            there is also a "Class M" elevation for today. BTW, Space Weather. Com
            had predicted this possibility in their last report issued yesterday.

            Bruce, K2BET

            Ted Roycraft wrote:

            > There was an M-class (x-ray) flare on about 1300Z Jan 19.
            >
            > 73, Ted, W2ZK
            >
            > Pete Smith wrote:
            > >

            > > Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
            > > the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
            > > mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
            > > when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
            > > occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.
            > >
            > > What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?
            > >
            > > --
            > > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
            > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
            > > <http://wiki.contesting.com <http://wiki.contesting.com>>
            > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
            > > www.conteststations.com
            > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
            > <http://reversebeacon.net>
            > > <http://reversebeacon.net <http://reversebeacon.net>>

            > signature database 4785 (20100119) __________

            > http://www.eset.com
          • Ted Roycraft
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
              I'm guessing but the pane you're looking at (WWV STORM ALERTS) was
              issued 3 hours ago. The M-class flare occurred about 2 hours ago. No
              one can predict an M-class flare with any certainty. The systray was
              responding to the realtime indication that an M-class flare was in progress.

              Ted, W2ZK

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                Hi Pete,

                The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                  Ah, OK - so the X-rays are the key. Makes sense. Thanks, Alex.

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                  On 1/19/2010 10:12 AM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                  > Hi Pete,
                  >
                  > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                  > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                  > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                  > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                  > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                  > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                  > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                  >> I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                  >> coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                  >>
                  >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                  >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                  >> www.conteststations.com
                  >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                  >>

                  >> On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                  >>>
                  >>> Ted

                • James Streible
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                    Thanks Alex, We learn something new everyday.

                    Jim K4DLI

                    Alex, VE3NEA wrote:

                    > Hi Pete,
                    >
                    > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA
                    > every 3
                    > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA
                    > decides to
                    > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                    > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few
                    > minutes to
                    > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                    > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                    > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                    > >I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                    > > coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                    > >
                    > > 73, Pete N4ZR
                    > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                    > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
                    > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                    > > www.conteststations.com
                    > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                    > <http://reversebeacon.net>
                    > >

                    > > On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                    > >> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                    > >>
                    > >> Ted

                    > background of
                    > blackout, but
                    > storm is

                    > <http://wiki.contesting.com>

                    > <http://wiki.contesting.com><http://wiki.contesting.com
                    > <http://wiki.contesting.com>>>
                    > <http://reversebeacon.net>

                    > <http://reversebeacon.net><http://reversebeacon.net
                    > <http://reversebeacon.net>>>

                  • Jim Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                      Hah, I was just reading this when my speakers honked at me. Never
                      heard them do that before. Ionoprobe just turned red. M1.2 flare

                      73, Jim VE7FO

                      Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                      > Hi Pete,
                      >
                      > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                      > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                      > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                      > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                      > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                      > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                      > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                      >> I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                      >> coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                      >>
                      >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                      >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                      >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                      >> www.conteststations.com
                      >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                      >>

                      >> On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                      >>> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                      >>>
                      >>> Ted

                    • Dave Baxter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
                        Radio Blackout?

                        My Faros status pages show much the oposite! Everything is positively
                        lively at the moment. Of course, what happens later is always sort of
                        unknown.

                        http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008

                        73.

                        Dave G0WBX