Ionoprobe storm alerts

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
      Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
      the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
      mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
      when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
      occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.

      What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?

      Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

    • James Streible
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
        Same here Pete. I checked the numbers and nothing seems out of order,
        just the red icon.

        Jim K4DLI

        Pete Smith wrote:

        > Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
        > the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
        > mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
        > when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
        > occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.
        >
        > What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?
        >
        > --
        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
        > www.conteststations.com
        > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
        > <http://reversebeacon.net>

      • Ted Roycraft
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
          There was an M-class (x-ray) flare on about 1300Z Jan 19.

          73, Ted, W2ZK

          Pete Smith wrote:

          > Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
          > the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
          > mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
          > when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
          > occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.
          >
          > What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?
          >
          > --
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
          > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
          > www.conteststations.com
          > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
          > <http://reversebeacon.net>

        • Ted Roycraft
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
            See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.

            Ted

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
              Now the background color has reverted to blue/green, still leaving me
              mystified.

              73, Pete N4ZR
              Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.

                73, Pete N4ZR
                Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                  My Ionoprobe is also showing the Class 'M' Flare. Look at the 'Today"
                  data under "Xrays" and you should see a C3.9 reading. On the graphic
                  there is also a "Class M" elevation for today. BTW, Space Weather. Com
                  had predicted this possibility in their last report issued yesterday.

                  Bruce, K2BET

                  Ted Roycraft wrote:

                  > There was an M-class (x-ray) flare on about 1300Z Jan 19.
                  >
                  > 73, Ted, W2ZK
                  >
                  > Pete Smith wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Running IonoProbe 1.36, and noticed this morning that the background of
                  > > the systray icon is red, which the help says means a radio storm. I
                  > > mouse over the icon, and Ionoprobe says there is a radio blackout, but
                  > > when I look at the full window I see nothing to suggest that a storm is
                  > > occurring, in either the upper or lower panes.
                  > >
                  > > What does Ionoprobe base these storm alerts on?
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                  > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
                  > > <http://wiki.contesting.com <http://wiki.contesting.com>>
                  > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                  > > www.conteststations.com
                  > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                  > <http://reversebeacon.net>
                  > > <http://reversebeacon.net <http://reversebeacon.net>>

                  > signature database 4785 (20100119) __________

                  > http://www.eset.com
                • Ted Roycraft
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                    I'm guessing but the pane you're looking at (WWV STORM ALERTS) was
                    issued 3 hours ago. The M-class flare occurred about 2 hours ago. No
                    one can predict an M-class flare with any certainty. The systray was
                    responding to the realtime indication that an M-class flare was in progress.

                    Ted, W2ZK

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                      Hi Pete,

                      The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                      hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                      issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                      solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                      an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                      IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                      actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                        Ah, OK - so the X-rays are the key. Makes sense. Thanks, Alex.

                        73, Pete N4ZR
                        Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                          Thanks Alex, We learn something new everyday.

                          Jim K4DLI

                          Alex, VE3NEA wrote:

                          > Hi Pete,
                          >
                          > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA
                          > every 3
                          > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA
                          > decides to
                          > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                          > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few
                          > minutes to
                          > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                          > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                          > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                          > >I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                          > > coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                          > >
                          > > 73, Pete N4ZR
                          > > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                          > <http://wiki.contesting.com>
                          > > The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                          > > www.conteststations.com
                          > > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                          > <http://reversebeacon.net>
                          > >

                          > > On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                          > >> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                          > >>
                          > >> Ted

                          > background of
                          > blackout, but
                          > storm is

                          > <http://wiki.contesting.com>

                          > <http://wiki.contesting.com><http://wiki.contesting.com
                          > <http://wiki.contesting.com>>>
                          > <http://reversebeacon.net>

                          > <http://reversebeacon.net><http://reversebeacon.net
                          > <http://reversebeacon.net>>>

                        • Jim Smith
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
                            Hah, I was just reading this when my speakers honked at me. Never
                            heard them do that before. Ionoprobe just turned red. M1.2 flare

                            73, Jim VE7FO

                            Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                            > Hi Pete,
                            >
                            > The alerts on the Day tab are the official alerts produced by NOAA every 3
                            > hours. If all hell breaks loose, they will stay green until NOAA decides to
                            > issue an alert. The 3-hour update period is adequate for geomagnetic and
                            > solar radiation alerts, but radio blackouts last for only a few minutes to
                            > an hour, and the official alerts may announce them long after they ended.
                            > IonoProbe has its own, real-time radio blackout alert system based on the
                            > actual X-Ray data, these alerts change the color of the icon in real time.

                            >> I just don't see how it can display G0/S0/R0 for both the last and the
                            >> coming 24 hours, and yet show red in the systray.
                            >>
                            >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                            >> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                            >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                            >> www.conteststations.com
                            >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                            >>

                            >> On 1/19/2010 9:39 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
                            >>> See the x-ray flux in the 'Week' tab near the bottom of the display.
                            >>>
                            >>> Ted

                          • Dave Baxter
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
                              Radio Blackout?

                              My Faros status pages show much the oposite! Everything is positively
                              lively at the moment. Of course, what happens later is always sort of
                              unknown.

                              http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008

                              73.

                              Dave G0WBX