TWO SDR IQs with Skimmer

  • K7NAV
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2010
      Is it possible two run two instances of Skimmer on the same computer and connect them to two SDR-IQs?

      Tnx
      Greg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
        I believe K4TD is running 6 of each. You might ask him if there are any
        special wrinkles.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 1/11/2010 10:51 PM, K7NAV wrote:
        > Is it possible two run two instances of Skimmer on the same computer and connect them to two SDR-IQs?
        >
        > Tnx
        > Greg

      • Greg - AB7R
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
          Thanks Pete!

          -------------------------
          73,
          Greg - AB7R
          Whidbey Island WA
          NA-065

          On Tue Jan 12 2:17 , Pete Smith <n4zr@...> sent:

          > I believe K4TD is running 6 of each. You might ask him if there are any
          >
          >special wrinkles.
          >

          >73, Pete N4ZR
          >
          >Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
          >
          >The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
          >
          >The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
          >

          >On 1/11/2010 10:51 PM, K7NAV wrote:
          >
          >> Is it possible two run two instances of Skimmer on the same computer and connect
          them to two SDR-IQs?

          >> Tnx
          >
          >> Greg

        • Jeff Maass
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
            > Is it possible two run two instances of Skimmer on
            > the same computer and connect them to two SDR-IQs?
            >
            > Tnx Greg

            I'm running three instances of CW Skimmer with three
            SDR-IQ receivers.

            http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/CW_Skimmer/K8ND_CW_Skimmer_Scheme090303a.jpg

            Put executables and all data in separate directories,
            and re-name the executable and the configuration file.

            A screen capture of one of my directories is shown at:
            http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/CW_Skimmer/Multiple_Skimmers_5174.JPG

            I can easily run three instances on my dedicated Dell
            Vostro desktop (with a screaming Core Duo E8600/3.3 GHz
            processor). I use two displays to spread out the CW
            Skimmer windows and an instance of WinTelnetX (which
            combines spots from the three instances into a single
            stream.

            On my laptop, I can run two instances without bogging
            down.

            Here is a photo of one screen with two Skimmers, before
            I got my third receiver. This was during the ARRL CW DX
            Contest.

            http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/CW_Skimmer/K8ND_Skimmer_090222_1248.jpg

            73, Jeff K8ND
          • Jeff Blaine AC0C
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
              The cpu load of skimmer is dependent on the number of decoders running.

              If you limit the number of decoders, then the number of sessions you can run is pretty high. I have 7 running on a 3.8G core 2. But the purpose of that box is more of dx spotting and to let me know when bands are open. Which means the number of decoders is only high on 20m.

              However, that assumes casual traffic loading. If it's field day or a big cw contest, then just 3 of these sessions on popular bands will nearly swamp the PC and either I need to limit the number of decoders - or close some of the sessions.

              73/jeff/ac0c