Re: Bad audio with CW Skimmer trial

  • obrienaj
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      My
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:

      > CW Skimmer is known to have problems with the DSP audio when using MME. To be fair, the CW Skimmer 1.4 Help lists as a prerequisite:
      >
      > "Sound card: a stereo sound card that supports the 48 kHz sampling rate or higher, and has a valid WDM driver"

      My sound chip (Sound Max) supports 48 kHz sampling and the drivers are installed as per instructions from Dell . I am not sure if I can verify that the drivers specifically include a WDM driver, I just install the driver package supplied . When I switch from MME to WDM, it works for about 2 seconds then CW Skimmer makes weird noises and quits.

      I could use another sound card, obviously, but would like to use the internal chip while other sound adapters in my PC are in use for other ham radio applications. Should I be looking for a specific WDM driver for Sound Max or would one expect the generally supplied driver to already support WDM ?

      Andy K3UK
    • grahamg3zod
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
        Hi Andy. From what you've said, it sounds very much like a buggy driver. Personally, I'd be inclined to see if there is a more recent driver available from the chip manufacturer. If still no improvement, then an email to Alex is an idea.

        If I try to start up CW Skimmer with the input set to WDM with the SignaLink USB (which only supports MME), I get:

        "Cannot negotiate input format with 07 USB Audio Device: error 1169"

        This suggests to me that your driver does support WDM, but it's not working properly.

        73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
        http://www.fists.co.uk

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
          Thanks, I will try it with an different card and see what happens.

          Andy.