Re: Bad audio with CW Skimmer trial

  • grahamg3zod
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
      CW Skimmer is known to have problems with the DSP audio when using MME. To be fair, the CW Skimmer 1.4 Help lists as a prerequisite:

      "Sound card: a stereo sound card that supports the 48 kHz sampling rate or higher, and has a valid WDM driver"

      I have a Signalink USB that I use with an FT-817 which suffers from this due to the generic USB sound driver from Microsoft not supporting WDM. My motherboard's onboard "soundcard" and a Delta 44 soundcard I have installed both work fine with WDM.

      73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "obrienaj" <k3uk@...> wrote:

      > Using a P4 2.3 GHz CPU, 1 gig Ram, XP HE, on board sound chip. All other audio applications work well but CW Skimmer audio is jerky and noisy (almost like QRN crashes), even when the rig is off. Waterfall halts for a second or so every minute or two. Using MME driver. Tried the WDM option in Cw Skimmer set-up byt get an error if I try that.
      > Any suggestions? All other CW decoding software work fine. CW Skimmer seems to work fine, just sounds poor and annoying.
    • obrienaj
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        My
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "grahamg3zod" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:

        > CW Skimmer is known to have problems with the DSP audio when using MME. To be fair, the CW Skimmer 1.4 Help lists as a prerequisite:
        >
        > "Sound card: a stereo sound card that supports the 48 kHz sampling rate or higher, and has a valid WDM driver"

        My sound chip (Sound Max) supports 48 kHz sampling and the drivers are installed as per instructions from Dell . I am not sure if I can verify that the drivers specifically include a WDM driver, I just install the driver package supplied . When I switch from MME to WDM, it works for about 2 seconds then CW Skimmer makes weird noises and quits.

        I could use another sound card, obviously, but would like to use the internal chip while other sound adapters in my PC are in use for other ham radio applications. Should I be looking for a specific WDM driver for Sound Max or would one expect the generally supplied driver to already support WDM ?

        Andy K3UK
      • grahamg3zod
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Andy. From what you've said, it sounds very much like a buggy driver. Personally, I'd be inclined to see if there is a more recent driver available from the chip manufacturer. If still no improvement, then an email to Alex is an idea.

          If I try to start up CW Skimmer with the input set to WDM with the SignaLink USB (which only supports MME), I get:

          "Cannot negotiate input format with 07 USB Audio Device: error 1169"

          This suggests to me that your driver does support WDM, but it's not working properly.

          73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
          http://www.fists.co.uk

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
            Thanks, I will try it with an different card and see what happens.

            Andy.