STRATUM-0 NTP / GPS Time Server

  • guvgeek
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2009
      Alex (VE3NEA) indicated that members of the group were interested in an accurate NTP Time Server. Out of necessity, I built one for my FAROS 1.3 Beacon Monitoring Station in South Africa.

      See http://kw1o.com/faros/ for information on how to put one together. Select the (Review the Stratum-0 Project) link.

      Worse case cost should be under $500. Gross accuracy over my home network is +-20ms, but you can achieve better than +-10ms accuracy in Faros due to the way it averages the time data. I never even approached this level of accuracy from NTP Internet Time here in South Africa. Much of the time +-100ms was the norm, and Internet downtime is high. If you build one, I think you will be surprised at how poor Internet Time really is. In my research for the project, I found that in general, Internet business transactions only require +-200ms accuracy, thus there really is no need for very accurate time on the Internet, at least from an Internet business perspective!

      -Mark
      KW1O
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2009
        Great stuff. Thank you for sharing. I think it could make a world of
        difference with Faros.

        Dave
        DM78qg // KA0SWT