Re: [dxatlas] Re: Skimmer with SDR-IQ

  • Greg - AB7R
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
      I absolutely do not understand this and I think it is not correct.

      When I connect SDR-IQ to my K3 IF output and manually tune skimmer by right
      clicking in the freq box and entering ANY freq in the CW portion of the band I am
      on Skimmer correctly shows the last 3 digits of the freq with relation to what is
      being decoded. Decoded calls are sent to the Skimmer Call list with all the
      correct frequencies and sent to a loggers bandmap via telnet...also with the
      correct frequency. When I click on a spot on the bandmap the station is there as
      expected. I DO NOT set skimmer to the K3's IF.

      -------------------------
      73,
      Greg - AB7R
      Whidbey Island WA
      NA-065

      On Thu Dec 3 2:17 , "hb9cat" sent:

      > Barry,
      >

      >I imagine you connected the SDR-IQ to the IF output of the K3. The only way that
      works for me is to "tune" skimmer to the IF frequency, e.g. 8.215 MHz for the K3.
      (or 8.83 for a kenwood).

      >Skimmer works, but the issue is that all skimmer spots will be labeled with
      the "wrong" frequency.

      >Spectravue pulls the VFO frequency via CAT, skimmer doesn't on the SDR-IQ.
      >

      >I raised the same issue in the SDR-IQ group.
      >

      >Best Regards
      >

      >Marco, HB9CAT
      >

      >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "N1EU" <barry.n1eu@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ
      (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the
      ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???

      >> Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it
      does with LP-Pan?

      >> Tnx/73,
      >
      >> Barry N1EU
    • hb9cat
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
        thank you Greg,

        I replied because it does not work for me; I do indeed see the 3 digits, but there's no signal to be decoded.
        If I then change the skimmer tune frequency to 8830 (Kenwood IF) I do see and decode the band that is currently selected on the transceiver's VFO. I tried the same setup with a K3.

        I'm obviously doing something wrong, I'm trying to understand the differences to have mine working as yours.

        Can anyone shed a light ?

        Thanks

        Marco, HB9CAT

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg - AB7R <ab7r@...> wrote:

        > I absolutely do not understand this and I think it is not correct.
        >
        > When I connect SDR-IQ to my K3 IF output and manually tune skimmer by right
        > clicking in the freq box and entering ANY freq in the CW portion of the band I am
        > on Skimmer correctly shows the last 3 digits of the freq with relation to what is
        > being decoded. Decoded calls are sent to the Skimmer Call list with all the
        > correct frequencies and sent to a loggers bandmap via telnet...also with the
        > correct frequency. When I click on a spot on the bandmap the station is there as
        > expected. I DO NOT set skimmer to the K3's IF.
        >

        > -------------------------
        > 73,
        > Greg - AB7R
        > Whidbey Island WA
        > NA-065
        >

        > On Thu Dec 3 2:17 , "hb9cat" sent:
        >

        > > Barry,
        > >

        > >I imagine you connected the SDR-IQ to the IF output of the K3. The only way that
        > works for me is to "tune" skimmer to the IF frequency, e.g. 8.215 MHz for the K3.
        > (or 8.83 for a kenwood).
        > >

        > >Skimmer works, but the issue is that all skimmer spots will be labeled with
        > the "wrong" frequency.
        > >

        > >Spectravue pulls the VFO frequency via CAT, skimmer doesn't on the SDR-IQ.
        > >

        > >I raised the same issue in the SDR-IQ group.
        > >

        > >Best Regards
        > >

        > >Marco, HB9CAT
        > >

        > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "N1EU" <barry.n1eu@> wrote:
        > >

        > >> Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ
        > (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the
        > ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???
        > >

        > >> Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it
        > does with LP-Pan?
        > >

        > >> Tnx/73,
        > >
        > >> Barry N1EU

      • Greg - AB7R
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
          Find a signal on the K3. Just for the example say it is on 14.040. Then set the
          skimmer freq to some freq in the same band. You can even set it to the same freq
          you have the K3 tuned to.... 14.040. The green "window" on the vertical display
          should now be set to "040". Also make sure you clicked the START button for
          Skimmer. Do you now see the activity light on the IQ flashing quickly instead of
          pulsing? If you do you should see the signal on the skimmer display that you are
          listening to on the K3.

          This works fine for me.

          73,
          Greg - AB7R