Re: Faros technique at VK4IU

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi Both.

      This is just as well mentioned here as anywhere else.

      I've been experimenting with the Windows port of NTPD by Meinberg.
      Faros works with it quite well, (it's on a seperate PC at the moment.)
      NTPD in turn is at the moment taking it's sync data from the 'net.

      However, the NTP issues caused by the WAN here (ISP or carrier who
      knows!) still causes problems, just that it takes longer for them to
      show (and to recover.) But the overall Faros timing behaviour is
      slightly improved, just by having another NTP server between it and the
      outside world. Different algorithms and filters in software I guess.
      I don't know enough to say for sure.

      I still plan on getting the Meinberg NTP server to run from a GPS, but
      though I've now discovered what I did wrong before, I've yet to "get
      enough of the right sort of time" to try it again "the right way".
      More news one day.

      Idealy, I'd like all that to live on the same physical PC as Faros. As
      above. "One day".

      Regards.

      Dave Baxter
      G0WBX (G8KBV)