RE: [dxatlas] Faros technique at VK4IU

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
      Hi- My timing marks look nothing like these. I sit on 21.150Mhz beacon and
      see it pretty well. Looking forward to some m ore info on Faros and timing.

      Dave
      DM78qg // KA0SWT
      /++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Both.

        This is just as well mentioned here as anywhere else.

        I've been experimenting with the Windows port of NTPD by Meinberg.
        Faros works with it quite well, (it's on a seperate PC at the moment.)
        NTPD in turn is at the moment taking it's sync data from the 'net.

        However, the NTP issues caused by the WAN here (ISP or carrier who
        knows!) still causes problems, just that it takes longer for them to
        show (and to recover.) But the overall Faros timing behaviour is
        slightly improved, just by having another NTP server between it and the
        outside world. Different algorithms and filters in software I guess.
        I don't know enough to say for sure.

        I still plan on getting the Meinberg NTP server to run from a GPS, but
        though I've now discovered what I did wrong before, I've yet to "get
        enough of the right sort of time" to try it again "the right way".
        More news one day.

        Idealy, I'd like all that to live on the same physical PC as Faros. As
        above. "One day".

        Regards.

        Dave Baxter
        G0WBX (G8KBV)