Re: [dxatlas] Faros technique at VK4IU

  • Peter Wetzig
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
      G'Day All.

      Further to my investigations for accurate time within Faros, I have
      updated the images on Google <http://picasaweb.google.com/Faros.VK4> to
      include several days of observations of JA2IGY 14MHz in VK4. The
      images are at approximately 15 minute intervals. For each of the UTC
      days in November, if you change the display to have four images per row,
      you will find it easier navigate the data.

      Any comments on the data are welcome.

      Peter VK4IU

      Peter wrote:

      > G'Day All,
      >
      > Here are some links to images that outline the observation techniques I
      > have been using at VK4IU. They were made on a copy of Faros running on
      > a second PC using the beacon logs from the actual Faros installation,
      > reading the data across my local area network.
      >
      > Faros Images <http://picasaweb.google.com/faros.vk4
      > <http://picasaweb.google.com/faros.vk4>>
      >
      > Faros1 is a small sample where I can see the correct things are happening.
      > Faros2 is a typical full day observation.
      > Faros3 is how I "correct" for my Internet connection.
      >
      > Peter VK4IU

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
        Hi- My timing marks look nothing like these. I sit on 21.150Mhz beacon and
        see it pretty well. Looking forward to some m ore info on Faros and timing.

        Dave
        DM78qg // KA0SWT
        /++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/

        Peter wrote:

        > G'Day All,
        >
        > Here are some links to images that outline the observation techniques
        > I have been using at VK4IU. They were made on a copy of Faros running
        > on a second PC using the beacon logs from the actual Faros
        > installation, reading the data across my local area network.
        >
        > Faros Images <http://picasaweb.google.com/faros.vk4
        > <http://picasaweb.google.com/faros.vk4>>
        >
        > Faros1 is a small sample where I can see the correct things are happening.
        > Faros2 is a typical full day observation.
        > Faros3 is how I "correct" for my Internet connection.
        >
        > Peter VK4IU

      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hi Both.

          This is just as well mentioned here as anywhere else.

          I've been experimenting with the Windows port of NTPD by Meinberg.
          Faros works with it quite well, (it's on a seperate PC at the moment.)
          NTPD in turn is at the moment taking it's sync data from the 'net.

          However, the NTP issues caused by the WAN here (ISP or carrier who
          knows!) still causes problems, just that it takes longer for them to
          show (and to recover.) But the overall Faros timing behaviour is
          slightly improved, just by having another NTP server between it and the
          outside world. Different algorithms and filters in software I guess.
          I don't know enough to say for sure.

          I still plan on getting the Meinberg NTP server to run from a GPS, but
          though I've now discovered what I did wrong before, I've yet to "get
          enough of the right sort of time" to try it again "the right way".
          More news one day.

          Idealy, I'd like all that to live on the same physical PC as Faros. As
          above. "One day".

          Regards.

          Dave Baxter
          G0WBX (G8KBV)