Skimmer with SDR-IQ

  • N1EU
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2009
      Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???

      Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it does with LP-Pan?

      Tnx/73,
      Barry N1EU
    • Ken Alexander
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
        Hi Folks,

        I'm planning on using CW Skimmer in CQ WW CW. I use N1MM Logger for rig (K2) control and logging. What kind of problems can I look forward to if both are trying to control the K2 through a MicroHAM CW Keyer interface? Will they just ignore each other or is there gonna be a fight?

        thanks in advance.

        73,

        Ken Alexander
        VE3HLS
      • hb9cat
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
          Barry,

          I imagine you connected the SDR-IQ to the IF output of the K3. The only way that works for me is to "tune" skimmer to the IF frequency, e.g. 8.215 MHz for the K3. (or 8.83 for a kenwood).

          Skimmer works, but the issue is that all skimmer spots will be labeled with the "wrong" frequency.

          Spectravue pulls the VFO frequency via CAT, skimmer doesn't on the SDR-IQ.

          I raised the same issue in the SDR-IQ group.

          Best Regards

          Marco, HB9CAT

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "N1EU" <barry.n1eu@...> wrote:

          > Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???
          >
          > Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it does with LP-Pan?
          >
          > Tnx/73,
          > Barry N1EU

        • Greg - AB7R
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
            I absolutely do not understand this and I think it is not correct.

            When I connect SDR-IQ to my K3 IF output and manually tune skimmer by right
            clicking in the freq box and entering ANY freq in the CW portion of the band I am
            on Skimmer correctly shows the last 3 digits of the freq with relation to what is
            being decoded. Decoded calls are sent to the Skimmer Call list with all the
            correct frequencies and sent to a loggers bandmap via telnet...also with the
            correct frequency. When I click on a spot on the bandmap the station is there as
            expected. I DO NOT set skimmer to the K3's IF.

            -------------------------
            73,
            Greg - AB7R
            Whidbey Island WA
            NA-065

            On Thu Dec 3 2:17 , "hb9cat" sent:

            > Barry,
            >

            >I imagine you connected the SDR-IQ to the IF output of the K3. The only way that
            works for me is to "tune" skimmer to the IF frequency, e.g. 8.215 MHz for the K3.
            (or 8.83 for a kenwood).

            >Skimmer works, but the issue is that all skimmer spots will be labeled with
            the "wrong" frequency.

            >Spectravue pulls the VFO frequency via CAT, skimmer doesn't on the SDR-IQ.
            >

            >I raised the same issue in the SDR-IQ group.
            >

            >Best Regards
            >

            >Marco, HB9CAT
            >

            >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "N1EU" <barry.n1eu@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ
            (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the
            ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???

            >> Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it
            does with LP-Pan?

            >> Tnx/73,
            >
            >> Barry N1EU
          • hb9cat
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
              thank you Greg,

              I replied because it does not work for me; I do indeed see the 3 digits, but there's no signal to be decoded.
              If I then change the skimmer tune frequency to 8830 (Kenwood IF) I do see and decode the band that is currently selected on the transceiver's VFO. I tried the same setup with a K3.

              I'm obviously doing something wrong, I'm trying to understand the differences to have mine working as yours.

              Can anyone shed a light ?

              Thanks

              Marco, HB9CAT

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg - AB7R <ab7r@...> wrote:

              > I absolutely do not understand this and I think it is not correct.
              >
              > When I connect SDR-IQ to my K3 IF output and manually tune skimmer by right
              > clicking in the freq box and entering ANY freq in the CW portion of the band I am
              > on Skimmer correctly shows the last 3 digits of the freq with relation to what is
              > being decoded. Decoded calls are sent to the Skimmer Call list with all the
              > correct frequencies and sent to a loggers bandmap via telnet...also with the
              > correct frequency. When I click on a spot on the bandmap the station is there as
              > expected. I DO NOT set skimmer to the K3's IF.
              >

              > -------------------------
              > 73,
              > Greg - AB7R
              > Whidbey Island WA
              > NA-065
              >

              > On Thu Dec 3 2:17 , "hb9cat" sent:
              >

              > > Barry,
              > >

              > >I imagine you connected the SDR-IQ to the IF output of the K3. The only way that
              > works for me is to "tune" skimmer to the IF frequency, e.g. 8.215 MHz for the K3.
              > (or 8.83 for a kenwood).
              > >

              > >Skimmer works, but the issue is that all skimmer spots will be labeled with
              > the "wrong" frequency.
              > >

              > >Spectravue pulls the VFO frequency via CAT, skimmer doesn't on the SDR-IQ.
              > >

              > >I raised the same issue in the SDR-IQ group.
              > >

              > >Best Regards
              > >

              > >Marco, HB9CAT
              > >

              > >--- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "N1EU" <barry.n1eu@> wrote:
              > >

              > >> Appreciate any help with troubleshooting steps for cw skimmer with SDR-IQ
              > (panadaptor for K3). SDR-IQ is working fine with SpectraVue and I've installed the
              > ActiveX dll. But the skimmer waterfall shows only noise???
              > >

              > >> Also, is there any way for skimmer to display the frequency from the K3 like it
              > does with LP-Pan?
              > >

              > >> Tnx/73,
              > >
              > >> Barry N1EU

            • Greg - AB7R
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
                Find a signal on the K3. Just for the example say it is on 14.040. Then set the
                skimmer freq to some freq in the same band. You can even set it to the same freq
                you have the K3 tuned to.... 14.040. The green "window" on the vertical display
                should now be set to "040". Also make sure you clicked the START button for
                Skimmer. Do you now see the activity light on the IQ flashing quickly instead of
                pulsing? If you do you should see the signal on the skimmer display that you are
                listening to on the K3.

                This works fine for me.

                73,
                Greg - AB7R