Re: [dxatlas] Re: Timing Question

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 19 2:40 PM
      Hi Philip,

      Great to hear from you. I much appreciate the views of someone with your

      You are correct, I think the "interesting characteristics" of my
      wireless broadband link is fundamentally where the problem lies. There
      are significant differences in the two directions in terms of delay,
      particularly as my link goes through a repeater before hitting the phone
      cell and onto the wired network. Also, my link is used by others on this
      local area network - I have at least 6 PCs using the link creating
      congestion. All but two are mine - so I have some control over the

      A college has a wired ADLS2+ Internet connection and has very good time
      for Faros - no problems at all. Interestingly, his "delay correction" in
      Faros is 10ms, mine is 60ms.

      No use is made of the time on the local PC by the Faros software. The
      beacons we are listening to, use a PPS, GPS based time reference. We
      need to be close to the beacon time, so we can know from which direction
      the signal came - the short way around the earth, or the long way around
      - and not too far off, or we miss the beacon completely. Exactly how
      accurate we need to be is difficult to work out as its a factor of many
      things including delays in the PC, the radio, the RF propagation, the
      beacons themselves. Faros has a "delay correction" to compensate for the
      actual delay we experience in the PC and other components. Most
      importantly we need stable time, and then use the "delay correction" in
      Faros to compensate for any offset. That way all the differences in the
      observation of the signal are due to the RF paths, and we can do RF
      propagation studies with the data.

      I'm not sure what "command" you used. Here is my output for one my NTP
      servers - on the same PC as Faros - for the command "peers", a few
      minutes ago.

      remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
      -mirror.dedicate 2 u 79 256 377 58.258 -10.218 4.514
      duffman.springf 3 u 98 256 377 98.802 -9.846 33.042
      *cachens1.onqnet 2 u 116 256 377 59.203 -12.518 3.518
      +ntp.bigcheese.o 2 u 127 256 377 109.652 -22.972 26.313
      hit-nxdomain.op .STEP. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
      +toc.ntp.telstra 2 u 238 256 377 72.537 -21.892 6.308

      The above is the result of several weeks of experimentation with several
      lists of servers. I no longer use this local server, or several others,
      with Faros. Faros goes to the server list directly - I get a much better
      result from Faros going directly to the Internet servers rather than
      having the local servers included.

      When I included the local servers in the list of servers for Faros, I
      finished up with Faros giving too high a preference to the local servers
      - small symmetric delay and low dispersion - and "faros time" became a
      straight line following the offset of the local server(s) - a straight
      line with accumulative error as high as 50ms every 15 minutes, which
      then "corrected", sending Faros off in another direction. This sent the
      beacon observations on a roller coaster ride up and down for which the
      "delay correction" in "Faros" was unable to compensate.

      My conclusion was that I needed more "randomness" in the time
      observations made by Faros - to avoid skew in the input to its Kalman
      filter - that is more randomness in the "delay", and offset, so Faros
      would not weight one server over another, allow the Faros Kalman filter
      to do its job, better.

      This has proved correct, as I now have stable time and acceptable
      observations from Faros. Given I seem to be able to implement a GPS
      based solution, the same as the beacons, for around $100 US, and given
      this is my hobby, I choose to attempt the best result I can get - a PPS
      GPS time reference.

      But, fundamentally, I am happy with the NTP time service from the
      Internet - so far, touch wood!

      Peter VK4IU