Re: [dxatlas] Ionoprobe+hamcap

  • f6irf
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
      Alex,
      We have seen in recent contests (ie CQWW-SSB) that conditions may be
      far above predicted condx based on smoothed values - especialy if you
      take the recommended Ioncap NGDC monthly predicted values.
      The 90days smoothed value is IMHO not much better to reflect sudden
      SSN varations like the one mentionned above...

      I understand your reluctances, but wonder what is the interest of
      having Ionoprobe to work with hamcap, if you have to stick to the
      NGDC monthly smoothed values to respect ioncap model and
      recommendations... In other words, don't see the interest of having
      near real-time values, if the IONCAP model can't make any use of
      them...
      On the other hand DX-atlas iono-maps are nice, but not easy to use in
      contest situation...

      73's - Patrick

      BTW: when you run hamcap together with DX-atlas, and select the
      MUF(3000)map, or the F2 critical freq map DX-atlas keep displaying
      the S/N value instead of the MUF or f0F2. You have to close hamcap to
      get the expected frequency values...

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@d...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Patrick,
      >
      > It does not make much sense to use SSNe from IonoProbe in HamCap.
      >
      > IonoProbe calculates the effective SSN by fitting the latest IRI-
      2001
      > ionospheric model to the real time ionosonde measurements. In other
      words,
      > the SSNe makes this particular model to agree with the actual state
      of the
      > ionosphere. If you enter this SSNe in another model, such as the
      old model
      > used in VOACAP, this may result in inaccurate predictions.
      >
      > Please note that iono map in DX Atlas is also based on IRI-2001,
      and the use
      > of SSNe from IonoProbe greatly improves its accuracy.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA
      >

      > > Alex,
      > > Repeating an earlier question, that you seem to have missed.
      > >
      > > Is there any way to get hamcap to take the SSNe value from
      Ionoprobe,