Re: [dxatlas] Ionoprobe+hamcap

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
      Hi Patrick,

      It does not make much sense to use SSNe from IonoProbe in HamCap.

      IonoProbe calculates the effective SSN by fitting the latest IRI-2001
      ionospheric model to the real time ionosonde measurements. In other words,
      the SSNe makes this particular model to agree with the actual state of the
      ionosphere. If you enter this SSNe in another model, such as the old model
      used in VOACAP, this may result in inaccurate predictions.

      Please note that iono map in DX Atlas is also based on IRI-2001, and the use
      of SSNe from IonoProbe greatly improves its accuracy.

      73 Alex VE3NEA

      > Alex,
      > Repeating an earlier question, that you seem to have missed.
      >
      > Is there any way to get hamcap to take the SSNe value from Ionoprobe,
      > rather than the 90 days SSN ???
      > If not, can you note it as "feature request" for hamcap future
      > release?
      >
      > Best regards - Patrick
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • f6irf
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
        Alex,
        We have seen in recent contests (ie CQWW-SSB) that conditions may be
        far above predicted condx based on smoothed values - especialy if you
        take the recommended Ioncap NGDC monthly predicted values.
        The 90days smoothed value is IMHO not much better to reflect sudden
        SSN varations like the one mentionned above...

        I understand your reluctances, but wonder what is the interest of
        having Ionoprobe to work with hamcap, if you have to stick to the
        NGDC monthly smoothed values to respect ioncap model and
        recommendations... In other words, don't see the interest of having
        near real-time values, if the IONCAP model can't make any use of
        them...
        On the other hand DX-atlas iono-maps are nice, but not easy to use in
        contest situation...

        73's - Patrick

        BTW: when you run hamcap together with DX-atlas, and select the
        MUF(3000)map, or the F2 critical freq map DX-atlas keep displaying
        the S/N value instead of the MUF or f0F2. You have to close hamcap to
        get the expected frequency values...

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@d...>