Suggestion for a new application to add to the suite ...

  • bert.hyman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2009
      A graphical CW tuning aid for us tone-deaf operators.

      I've been using an audio spectrum analyzer app that I found on the Web a while ago to make sure the audio note of a received signal is at 700Hz (my rig's default offset) so that it's peaked in the filter passband and I'm on the same frequency as the other station.

      It works, but since it's a general purpose program, the controls and display are not optimized for this use.

      I understand that the Elecraft K3 has this feature built in; my Omni VII doesn't.
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
        Hi...

        What I (and at least one other user in the UK) would like to see, is
        Faros (the NCDXF beacon monitor) being able to natively use a GPS
        receiver to synchronise it's internal clock, possibly using a 1PPS
        signal if available, so not having to rely on very creaky and unreliable
        NTP sources some ISP seem to provide.

        Or, a "Simple to setup and use" GPS disciplined NTP server program for
        the LocalHost.
        There are some programs and tools about to do this, but they are
        anything but simple to setup and use, and often prohibitively expensive
        for "enthusiast" use sadly.

        After all, the beacons themselves are controlled by a single chip micro
        (quite an antique in fact) that does just that, keeping accurate time,
        disciplined by a local GPS RX.

        If this could be done in a future version of Faros, or as an additional
        program/tool for Faros users, it would make the program most useful for
        portable DXpedtions etc, and for those who have to rely on Dial up
        internet or (as I suffer) incompetent ISP's who don't even know what NTP
        is, or not even having the luxury of an internet connection at all.

        73.

        Dave G0WBX/G8KBV
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
          Very much agree; just a few micro-seconds will make a big difference in the
          reception quality.

          Dave
          DM78qd // KA0SWT

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
            Bert,

            May I suggest the HRD digital modes program DM780?

            This provides an AF-based waterfall that is very helpful to use in
            optimizing tuning. It's one of the many things I use DM780 for which is
            the centerpoint of my station.

            And in addition to that, it provides full 2-way capability for just
            about every digital mode known, in addition to CW. The functionality
            and beauty are really hard to comprehend.

            73/jeff/ac0c

            bert.hyman wrote:

            > A graphical CW tuning aid for us tone-deaf operators.
            >
            > I've been using an audio spectrum analyzer app that I found on the Web
            > a while ago to make sure the audio note of a received signal is at
            > 700Hz (my rig's default offset) so that it's peaked in the filter
            > passband and I'm on the same frequency as the other station.
            >
            > It works, but since it's a general purpose program, the controls and
            > display are not optimized for this use.
            >
            > I understand that the Elecraft K3 has this feature built in; my Omni
            > VII doesn't.

          • bert.hyman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@...> wrote:

              > May I suggest the HRD digital modes program DM780?
              >
              > This provides an AF-based waterfall that is very helpful to use in
              > optimizing tuning. It's one of the many things I use DM780 for which
              > is the centerpoint of my station.

              I guess I'm too much of a minimalist for HRD; I find the display much too busy for my tastes :-)

              All I have on the screen when I'm operating is BandMaster and my little spectrum analyzer window.
            • Jim McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
                I also would like to be able to use FAROS in a portable mode with a GPS.

                How about it Alex? Can you please add this functionality?

                73,

                Jim
                WA2EWE/T6