Re: [dxatlas] SPLIT & VFO USE

  • Jeff Blaine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009

      FYI... It turns out that Rigsync is the cats-meow for my bandscope
      project.... And I wanted to pass along this configuration comments just
      to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Perhaps it may
      help some one else. This project is really a great success...

      Rigsync allows me to run this set of applications, and to be able to qsy
      from any of them...

      * CW Skimmer (scans +/- 11 khz of current rig frequency)
      * PowerSDR v1.19 pretty betty - providing bandscope fed by fixed IF tap
      into SR SDR
      * FT-2000 with IF-2000 board feeding a 10.55 mhz SR-II
      * Ham Radio Deluxe

      And CW Skimmer feeds it's bandscope info via telnet to the DXlabs
      Spotcollector application. Here I screen out all calls not in the
      'needed' category. And by clicking the entry in spotcollector, I can
      qsy to the frequency as well. At the same time, qrz lookup is
      performed, a check of prior QSO in the log comes up, and the guy's qth
      is spotted on the world map!

      Now unfortunately, CW skimmer configured for Softrock-IF only covers
      about 22khz. Not sure why that makes any sense - but Alex has no
      interest in changing that. However, it is also possible (with
      additional e SDR units) to see an entire CW segments and incorporate
      their feeds as well.

      I have set one SR SDR to a fixed-frequency - middle of 20m CW band. And
      then started a 2nd instance of skimmer (different INI passed by command
      line so the settings in this instance do not "contaminate" the 1st
      instance serving the IF feed). And then manually adjusted the IF shift
      so that the frequency indicated on CWSkimmer is correct (takes a bit of
      trial and error but once that offset is known, it's easy to qsy bands as

      Setup this way, the 2nd SDR driving the 2nd instance of CW skimmer
      provides telnet spots to Spotcollector - just as the 1st instance/IF cw
      skimmer does. However, it's manually set to a specific band and
      captures up to 200khz - this weekend I ran it on 20m providing telnet
      spot sources on everything from 14.00-14.18. Even when I was playing on
      15, 40 and 80m...

      With average loading of only about 10% CPU per skimmer instance, I think
      additional instances of skimmer / softrock set on other dedicated bands
      would work FB. My max CPU utilization with all this stuff running was
      only about 50% on my 3.3G P-quad. Seems I could maybe load up another 3
      instances to cover 15/30/40 as well without needing more computer power
      (the actual problem is finding high performance affordable sound cards
      that allow more than one per system. I did not consider virtualization,
      however, and that may work as well...

      Hope that explanation made sense... :)

      This combination of goodies allowed me to pick up about 15 new countries
      and about 40 new band-mode-countries over the weekend's WPX playtime!

      Only minor problem with this configuration for those that may want to
      try it: the offset for each mode varies slightly. A dedicated IF
      program like the WU2X PowerSDR - while being based on much older
      PowerSDR code - is customized to allow offsets to be specified by mode.
      For me, I have adjusted the rig digi modes (PKT) offset to match the CW
      carrier so one IF offset value covers nearly 100% of my use.

      The upside is that Betty is fantastic looking. And has far better DSP
      capabilities than the older code. And some things that I like to use
      (level calibration and image rejection calibration) are non-functional
      in the WU2X version. Overall, a good compromise IMHO...

      Wish list: I am hoping to track down a way to pass the call from the
      Dxkeeper application over to DM780 as that is a very handy (and great
      looking) digital/cw interface and has a nice log interface. With that,
      nearly the entire process of QSY, QRZ and map directional lookup,
      database checking, LoTw/EQSL submissions is automatic with just the
      click on the call in spot collector. Leaving me to just focus on
      setting the TX frequency which was on my original wish list.

      While I was not able to find a way to semi-automate the split qsy, this
      combo has otherwise taken a load of tasks away which makes setting the
      split tx frequency just about the only task left!!! Fantastic for the
      lazy rookie DX chasers like me...

      Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with Rigsync. It's
      a great addition to a lot of other great programs that a lot of hard
      working hams have put out over the years.